Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Separated a couple mama goats last night so I can sneak some milk this morning. Had to use evaporated milk in my coffee today.
:lol: horrors! The dreaded bought milk when fresh is "right there". I feel guilty then. But, I do keep a couple cans in pantry 😂

I'm facing the dreaded "wean/sell" time -- then, milk/dry to follow. It's when the downsize thoughts are raging. 🤔. The Boers, way easy to dry off themselves. Saanen & Nubian, not so much. But the milk is soooo good!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Busy enough day that I didn't get everything done that I wanted to, again. Oh well - what else is new?

Went out this morning and the first thing I saw were two goats with poopy butts. Not really surprised. Get some wet weather and I guess we have a coccidia flare up. Got some toltrazurl into those two girls. I was really good earlier in the year about giving all the preventative doses. These babies got the short end of that deal. Hopefully, they'll be cleared up quickly.

Moved the horses up into the front barnyard so they can work on the grass there. It's not a big area, but the grass is thick. They'll last a couple of days in there and if there's no more rain, I'll put them in the back yard next.

Got the eggs out of the dehydrator and whizzed 'em up in the Bullet and they are now residing in the freezer. Had to sample them first so I scrambled up a bit jut to confirm that they are indeed edible. Not exactly like fresh, but edible just the same. Great to cook with too.

Got a big ol' pot of soup going too. Ground beef and a bunch of veggies. Most from the garden including the first picking of Purple Dove beans! Excited about the PD's and I should be able to pick some more tomorrow too. Trying to catch up on laundry and it's coming along.

Got that little bit of ceiling painting taken care of too. Yay for that!

DH went to PT today thinking it was his last session. I guess they weren't done with him because they got another 4 weeks approved. He's been working with a new therapist and he's awesome! He's also addressing DH's general weakness and balance problems.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
i'm so glad the beans are working out for you and also to hear that DH is getting help he needs.
I'm so grateful for your gift of the bean seeds. They are my favorite and the only ones I planted this year!

DH still has good days and bad days - up one day and down the next. I've insisted that he seek another opinion. He (we) has an appt with a neurologist to investigate some other symptoms he's been having. Might be nothing, but I'd rather hear that from a professional.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm so grateful for your gift of the bean seeds. They are my favorite and the only ones I planted this year!

i'm always excited when bean planting season comes along. i've still not narrowed down my list of varieties and experiements but it will probably be somewhere between 40 - 60 different ones.

what is also exciting this year is that my sister is doing some gardening (and even better yet she has a neighbor who helps) and she's planting PD beans. so that will give me yet another information source about how well they do in the harsher south-west climate. i think they'll do ok, but we'll see - they may have to do some midday shading.

DH still has good days and bad days - up one day and down the next. I've insisted that he seek another opinion. He (we) has an appt with a neurologist to investigate some other symptoms he's been having. Might be nothing, but I'd rather hear that from a professional.

with the various complication possibilities it sounds like a good idea.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Decided to get back to house stuff today. Dining room wall, entryway and about 1/3rd of the south LR wall are now primed. Pretty much emptied a gallon of primer so picked that as a stopping place. I have just enough left to do some touch up with a brush.

Even with a power roller it's still a bit of a job....especially with a semi-bum shoulder. This shoulder has given me trouble previously so I don't want to push it over the edge doing this job. So, I'm doing it in bits and pieces. Pretty pleased with the progress today. I might actually finish the priming on the next round. Then I get to start over with painting. Right now I'm priming the new sheetrock. When I start painting I'll be doing the entire downstairs - not just a few walls. UGH!

More rain threatening but I'd rather it just move on past and skip us this round.

Picked more Purple Dove beans this morning! Yay!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ugh - we got a few showers despite my wishing they'd go on by. But, in between showers I got out and mowed a little. Needed to do the drive back to the pasture so DH can walk out there without tall grass grabbing at his feet. Got most of the front yard mowed too. But, I'm sure it will be all grown back up again before it dries out enough to even think about mowing again. Ugh...

Leftover soup for dinner.

Yay for an exciting day, lol.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are getting all the rains that we're not.

i'll have to get out and water the strawberries and garlic this morning.

as for achy breaky body parts, my left shoulder is not happy and i don't recall doing anything to it recently that should have upset it. not something i want to deal with all gardening season but it looks like it won't be changing soon. not that breaking a collarbone or shoulderblade (old injuries from a long time ago, two different events) on that side should have anything to do with it... harrumph!

what bugs me though is that i went through the shed tile job (several years ago) and restaining the house last year and it was all fine and then now it decides to get piddly for some reason?

:) life can be mysterious...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy Mother's day! Mine started out @ 6a with perfect peace and quiet. Sounds pretty good, except when that peace and quiet is caused by nothing. Nothing running at all. No AC, no fan, no lights - nothing. Power was out again - grrrr! They promised it would be back on by 9a - nope. They promised by 11:30a - nope. We left for DS's house at noon for cheeseburgers - yum. Power came back on at 2p. A mere 8 hours.

We didn't start up the generator - trying to save some gasoline. It was raining so temps were cool enough. But - I needed coffee....badly! I've been needing to get out the trusty camp stove and make sure it's still trusty. That trusty camp stove and a little green canister of gas and I managed to have coffee. I swear - coffee made in a French Press is sooooooo good!

I need to check my gas cans and make sure they're topped off. Hurricane season is coming. Forecasters say it should be a "light" year for storms. Something about El Nino... But, heck - all it takes is one.

Other than stuff my face with a delicious cheeseburger, I've done nothing else except the normal feeding animal chores.

Back at it tomorrow!

Latest posts