Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Checked on the litle guy right before bed and knew he wasn't gonna make it. Decided to spare him any more trauma by trying to force anything on him or in him. Piled some more hay around him to prop him upright and covered him up with an old blanket and he was gone this morning when I went out. It just musta been time for the 'grim reaper' to make his appearance at my place - we kept him away long enough for the babies to be born but then he came and snatched their daddy. Sigh....

I've got three more does bred to the little fella - so his legacy will live on and hopefully I'll get a nice replacement buck out of him. Makes me glad that I went ahead and bred my old doe to him - she's given me nothing but champions and I think (barring any unforseen circumstances) that she'll have some nice kids.

S'posed to get a little warmer every day headed to the weekend. Don't know what - if anything - I'll get done. I'm kinda tired of working out in the cold wetness all the time. (Ya'll have lots of sympathy for me, right?)This is a bad time of year to be a farmer.

Gonna have to leave work early today and get a start on digging that hole... ugh. :(

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Aw so sad! Glad you're got babies bred from him though.
It is a tough time of year to be a farmer.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, ya'll. I just got finished burying him. Then I went into the stall next to his and snuggled with his babies for a little while. Life does go on...

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
That's the hardest part of raising animals. I'm fine with animals for meat, it's the senseless loss that hurts.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I totally agree FJ. I can raise 'em up and butcher 'em if that's what I had planned for their life. But, this guy was supposed to live a long life here. And, it's never easy - even though I've been doing this a long time and have learned to accept death when it happens - but I still fight just as hard to save 'em if there's a chance. I got this guy from some friends too. I traded them a doe for him. I can't tell you how much I'm gonna hate making that phone call...

Last edited:

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:( Yeah I bout died when i lost my bull calf. If it was meat, it would have been different. Sorry FEM, it stinks. Glad you got the burial done and over with though. If we were to have something like that happen here right now, we'd play heck getting a hole dug! Give yourself a couple days before attempting the call. :hugs

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It's never easy to lose one. Sorry, FEM. :hugs

Latest posts