Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I don't know how easy it would be even if they were raised for meat... the chickens are one thing, S does them 100 at a time. But individual animals when you know them is hard.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's why I don't name most of my chickens, or spend too much time w/them. And I don't know that I could do older birds. What I'll probably do w/them instead is take them to the auction. Maybe one day.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Happy Valentine's Day!

Hope ya'll are all warm and dry and looking forward to a fun and/or productive weekend.

I'll prolly harvest a few more quail this weekend and that'll be it for about 5 more weeks when the batch that's in the brooer is ready. Yum, yum!

Had to lock up the LGD last night. I found a well-eaten goose egg yesterday when I was feeding. Guess I'm gonna have to build a temporary pen around the geese cuz they decided to nest right out in the open - not even near the pond. Silly geese... I hope to get a good hatch cuz I think baby Pilgrim Geese will sell pretty well. If not, I guess I'll learn to butcher geese next. I've never done a waterfowl - are they hard to pluck or is skinning them the way to go? I do have one gander that I'd do with pleasure, lol! He is a little over the top protective! But, he should protect his nest from the dang dog instead of me...geeze...

Other than that - not much else going on. S'posed to hit 75 today - woo hoo!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
At this point in time, I think I'd die at 75! I was happy when it was almost 50 today.

hqueen13

Reaction score
Omg I wouldn't know what to do with myself at 75! It was in the mid 40's today and that was nice!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my .... ya'll don't kill me.... but we actually got all the way up to 79! :cool:
And I put on shorts for the very first time this year. :hide Ya'll grab your sunglasses cuz my legs will blind ya...

Got the geese moved. If I keep 'em locked in there for a couple days I guess they'll lay their eggs in there. They're not ready to actually set yet so I hope they don't get too bored. After a couple days I'll prolly let 'em out at night so they can move around and graze a little bit. Oh joy - I'll be playing musical critters. Let the mama goat and babies out during the day and keep the geese locked up or the geese will be mean to those goat babies. They are so bossy! Then when I put the goats back in their stall in the evenings I can let the geese out. Sound like fun? o_O

I came home early today and unloaded the 14 bags of feed that I bought - yes 14 - Argh! I gotta get that feed bill down. Supposed to sell 4 hens next week and I'm about to start butchering roosters for dog food. Might even get brave and do a goose eventually. I don't want to do it until after they have a hatch cuz there's 3 males and two females.....BUT... I don't know which ones are the mated pairs. So, if I kill the wrong one.. I might not get any of those cute little baby goosies.

I found some tiny heirloom 'mater plants at Wally world today so I bought 'em! And guess what I'm gonna do with 'em tomorrow???? I'm gonna plant them stinkers. If it gets cold again - I'll cover 'em, wrap 'em, put a heater on 'em if I have to - but I'm planning on having me some maters ASAP! Hmmmm, wonder if the soil needsa be warmer for 'em to grow? I don't care - I'm experimenting. I could build a tiny little green house for 'em. Maybe I should do that and get the soil warmed up before I plant 'em. Nope, gonna plant 'em any way. Geeze, do I sound just a tiny bit indecisive? LOL One warm day and I'm rearing to go!

Planning on ordering some meaties too. Not right now, but I AM planning...

Ok, it's Valentine's day and I'm having dessert! Just a little bit of ice cream - don't tell.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Plant them! And I will live vicariously through you!!!!! :D

Denim Deb

Reaction score
After reading that you were able to wear shorts, this is what I wanna do :smack :hide

hqueen13

Reaction score
Lol Deb! I agree :p

Wish I could think of doing that right now. It's snowing again, but I think it's a few degrees above freezing so I don't know what it's going to do.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Snowing here again, too! They are "hinting" at 40+ plus later in the week.

Latest posts