Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got nearly an inch overnight! Yay! I'm going to do a little mowing this morning. I've been putting it off in fear of killing what's left of the crunchy grass. Unfortunately, the weeds didn't all stop growing like the grass did. Maybe with the moisture I won't end up covered head to toe with dust.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It is a relief to get that rain for sure. I've got some rye seed but I'll wait a while before I broadcast it. It doesn't do well with heat. Hopefully the Bermuda will wake up now that it's had a drink. It should put on some more growth now.

Gotta get busy. DIL and I are going fishing this morning. Gonna try out a new place. It's a catch and release bass pond a little farther away so I hope it's productive!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It was a nice day. We fished from 8 until 2. Some of that was travel time however. We tried out a new pond about 25 minutes away. Total bust. So we drove back to our bountiful pond closer to the house. Grandson will be here in 3 weeks so we want to give salt water fishing a try. DIL, DS and I have done some previously in the bay. However, the boat is pi$$ed off at us right now. I've told son to put it in the shop and I'll cover the repair costs. I'm expecting it to be around 3K. :mad: Argh! But, I thought it might be nice to share some of DS's inheritance with him while I'm still here, lol. Plus - I like going out in the boat too. Win-win! Not sure the boat will be operational before GS gets here though so DIL and I may try out some places to salt-water fish that don't require a boat.

All this fishing has me seriously re-considering the size of the pond we're working on now. I might go even bigger. I really need a source of water that doesn't require electricity to pump in case of an extended power outage. We've got a fish farm right down the road that will give you exactly what you need to stock a pond depending on what you want to stock it with. You can go with a catfish only pond, a bass pond, or a combo that includes both of those plus bluegill. They offer a different strain of bluegill that routinely grows to between 1.5 and 2lbs. Plent big enough for good eating. Also, having a pond is a bonus if you ever need to sell. I plan on being here forever, but life has a way of changing plans.

Looks like our rain chances are over for at least a week, but I'm ok with what we've got right now. It came slowly enough that it all soaked in.

I'm going to try to work in the raised beds today. Neeeeeed to get some plants in the ground!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It was a nice day. We fished from 8 until 2.
All this fishing has me seriously re-considering the size of the pond we're working on now. I might go even bigger. I really need a source of water that doesn't require electricity to pump in case of an extended power outage. We've got a fish farm right down the road that will give you exactly what you need to stock a pond depending on what you want to stock it with. You can go with a catfish only pond, a bass pond, or a combo that includes both of those plus bluegill. They offer a different strain of bluegill that routinely grows to between 1.5 and 2lbs. Plent big enough for good eating. Also, having a pond is a bonus if you ever need to sell. I plan on being here forever, but life has a way of changing plans.

i don't recommend catfish and bass together as i think the catfish can get into the bass nests. i'd go with bass and bluegills. i'm not sure what the minimum depth needs to be for bass but steady or seasonal fluctuations are going to change that too. you probably don't have to worry too much about it freezing for long. mosquito eating surface feeding type minnows might also be a good idea. to me the whole idea of having a pond would be to have frogs and toads back in more numbers and perhaps some turtles too would move in. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have a good point. The way they recommend stocking the pond does indeed provide prey and predator fish together. They also suggest minnows in all scenarios - I forgot to mention that. They suggest starting with different sizes of fish knowing that some will be consumed, and others will be large enough to avoid that and spawn. I think their plan is to prevent some of the fish from getting out of hand.

From what I've read the idea is to not let anything overtake the other because that doesn't lead to maximum growth in any of the species. I'm at the very beginning of my research and I'm not sure which way I'll go except that I know I want bluegill! I can take or leave bass except for GS wanting them. They are the ultimate challenge for him and he enjoys catching them. He thinks bluegill are too easy, lol!

Probably won't get serious about it until spring. Pond still needs serious enlarging, and a lot more water, before I can think about stocking it.