Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ha - we got zippo, nuttin', nada this morning. Sun came out and we got well into the 90's until late afternoon. The skies darkened, the winds blew and we got a bit over a half inch along with some nice blustery winds! Woo Hoo!

party time! read a book! :) that's what i did yesterday when it was sprinkling all day. nice to have a day off once in a while.

looks like we're going to have rains most of this week.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so excited! I just had a guy out to give me an estimate on finishing the pond. He starts on Tuesday!!!! I've wanted this pond for all of the 36 years that I've lived in this house. So, I'm finally getting it. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend, but oh well... It's only money and ya can't take it with ya! Now I just have to hope for a really wet winter to fill it up, lol.

Got another speck of rain this afternoon - a hair over a tenth - 0.13 says the rain gauge.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I bought a spare AC unit a couple months ago because that's just how I roll. That was actually the second "spare" I bought this year. Needed them both....ugh. Now I'm without a "spare" so I'll need to think about a third.

So - I took on a chore earlier this week that I've put off for a minute. The window unit in our upstairs bedroom, started leaking water on to the floor. What a mess! I had a bucket under it but I got dang tired of emptying that stupid bucket twice a day.

I decided that rather than taking the old one out (that was still blowing perfectly cold air) taking it downstairs to try to pretend I could fix it, then take it back upstairs only to find out that it might still be leaking water - I'd just put the new one in. I had already climbed up a ladder to the second story window the day before and drilled holes in the corners hoping to give the water another path. Nope - it didn't work. I hate ladders and I hate more that it didn't work. So, no other choice. I pulled the old one out of the window and slid it down the stairs. That was the only easy part.

When I bought the spare unit I bought a big one. Idea being that if my really OLD central unit downstairs ever went out, I'd have something to use until I could get the big unit fixed/replaced. That's my way of saying that bugger was heavy! About halfway up the stairs I started questioning my sanity, lol. But, I made it and set it on an end table in front of the window and took a quick break. Got my courage back and got back to it. I was seriously worried that I'd drop that sucker out the window before I ever got it secured. My windows are vinyl, and that particular window seems to have warped some from holding AC units all these years. After some more cussing and getting angry enough to unwarp the window I got it installed. Geeze Louise! I'd like to never have to do that again!

Bought some onion sets at Home Depot. Definitely did not buy as many as I bought last year, lol. I bought 60 instead of 200. I think I can handle that. Just need to find a spot for them. Want to get some of Chijimisai planted too. That is a great fall/winter green.

Need to get busy...or have another cup of coffee...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still hot! Why???? Headed for 95 today and 97 tomorrow. We have rain in the forecast mid-week.

Pond digging is set for tues/wed. Rain is supposed to start Wednesday - hopefully late in the day. It would be too much like right for the pond to get finished and then the rain to start - instead of the other way around. :fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't think we made it to 95....highest I saw was 93. Hopefully tomorrow will be just as "cool."

I got the yard mowed, including the ditch. The ditch is way steep and I'm not fond of it at all - but it's done.

Started mulching he raised bed that has cabbage and broccoli in it. I spread cardboard and have a cart load of old hay to spread in the morning. Might have gotten it done tonight but I ate a bug....argh....and had a coughing fit. Came inside and found the perfect beverage to wash down the bug with. It's ice cold and could only be made better with a lime and a bit of salt. But, I'll take it just as it is.

Ewwww - just saw the weather and Houston did hit 95. Ugh.