Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
...However, I like the idea of a more "natural" environment for them so I added several objects that can be used for cover. I had a terra cotta "fish" fire pit that DH bought for me years ago. Similar to this:

CC103.jpg

At some point in time, it had its tail broken off. We still used it, but it was definitely compromised, lol. That tailless fish now resides at the bottom of the pond. Also, a large, broken terra cotta planter was added. Some sections of pine logs that I had been soaking for weeks so they would sink were placed in three different locations before the big rain. I'll be watching for discarded trees after Christmas as they are widely accepted as great habitat for smaller fish.

i really like that firepit! :) i wish i had one like that here or that i could have a fish tank big enough to hold it. :)

the Christmas tree or other brush idea is a good one for protecting small fry from predators but my suggestion would be to put them more or less in one or two places because you'll likely otherwise regret it to have a lot of them scattered around.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not sure about floating plants. I need to research it some more. I know that if they proliferate too much they can be bad - but I guess if they balance is right they could be beneficial.

Worst thing I can think of is that they might be an obstacle to good fishing, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two more doc appointments today. One at 10a and the next one at 3p. Both appointments are several towns away so not likely we'll come home in between. Lunch out? Quite possibly, lol.

Tomorrow is PT again and a visiting Nurse Practitioner. Geeze Louise!

We had time at home yesterday so I had to unload the feed that was in my truck. Cleaned out a kidding pen for a preggo doe. Some months back I ordered two raised beds "kits". They've been sitting in the shed waiting for me to get to them. I put one together yesterday to have a place to put the barn dirt, and for more room to plant things!! Won't be able to finish that job until tomorrow. Also have to take down a fence to expand the raised bed area - and to have a place to put the new raised bed(s) where dogs can't tromp on them.

On a brighter note, I'll be cutting a head of cabbage and some broccoli by the weekend. Yay! I love fall gardens.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Two more doc appts. today. Hand surgeon this morning. Had a great talk with him about the CPR incident. He said if we decide to do the other hand it will definitely be done with a local, lol. No more excitement like that for him! He's a really good guy. Next appt. was with DH's podiatrist. He removed the damaged toenail....:sick

In between the two appts. we picked up a new monitor for DH's computer and had lunch at Cheesecake Factory. We managed to pass on the cheesecake, lol. Thai lettuce wraps for me and an Americana hamburger for DH. Then off to Target to get DH a new shirt because he was wearing his cheeseburger on his old shirt. Then the podiatrist, a stop at the pharmacy for meds and finally home.

Two home visits coming up tomorrow and, so far, nothing for Friday. Yay!