Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I band them now - but before I discovered banding - I cut them. So, not like I don't have any experience - this will just be a little different orientation.

just asked DH if he had any fresh, new razors.... Might be something we can accomplish in the rain tomorrow. Geeze, do they need a tetanus shot?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can find out for sure but I don't believe so. He uses a new razor for each piglet and uses a lot of iodine in a spray bottle. I've never done it... But my husband has helped this breeder friend of ours a few times. He said they are angrier about being picked up than being castrated. They go suckle on mom and move on with their day.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Go to auto shop and get a box of razors. Surgical sharp, one sided. You slice, pop them out and pull them off, basically. Yes they scream and watch for biting. Been years since I did any and they were the full size piglets. These guys are so tiny that it will take some caution to not get too deep when you cut.

The random re-breeding is the only issue for me. I just ain't in the mood for the altering or the breeding right now. But mine are only 3 days old. Still, must think of those things right away.
As to meat, taste, temperament, mine were all positive from the boars I raised & had butchered.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Years ago I cut all my bucklings - took less than a minute each. Cut off the bottom third of the scrotum, grab each testicle and pull. No muss, no fuss.

I was at a breeders farm 'back in the day' getting 4-H pigs for the kids when they were castrating a whole bunch. I stood around and watched because that kind of thing is 'cool' to me, lol. I have DH to hold 'em and they're only 12 days old - so except for the screams it should be easy enough. No qualms at all about the "procedure."

But, after 5+ inches of rain and more called for through Monday afternoon - my hesitation to castrate is purely a management one right now. They are in a stall that opens up to a small pasture area. Stall is dry, but their pen (like every other area on my place right now) is wet, wet, wet. In fact, with their little short legs they would probably be dragging their butts through dirty water every time they try to walk outside. Guess I could lock them all in the pen together, but that would get dirty real quick too. Decisions, decisions!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You don't want mud packed in their scrotum!! Especially your black clay!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Muddy scrotum is not a good thing... How're the little ones doing anyway?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness, they are doing great! I noticed a few days ago that they're nosing around the feed when mom eats so I've been putting a little out for them. Those little buggers are eating! I've got to try to figure out a way to put a piece of panel across a corner so the big girls can't get into it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine is a wonderful mom!! She's housebreaking them :) They come out to the spot she showed/used and back in after finishing. Today, she took some bread from her feed into the hut where they were. Amazing animals. I know how you are enjoying them because I am enjoying mine. They are very smart.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Was out with them a few minutes ago and they were nosing all over my boots and I was rubbing and scratching 'em. They love it already. Also had some feed in my hand and a couple of them were eating out of my hand (probably not a good habit to start, lol). And, they do have sharp little teeth! So, I put their feed around the edges of their stall on the bottom support and they found it just fine.