Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our friend has sows farrow in winter... NH winter! They do fine, but he has a good setup and does run heat lamps.

Tomatoes in winter... Must be nice!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOTS of straw & mom piggy will cover them! Your TX "winters" just aren't often more than a few hrs a day...like cold overnight.:caf And YES, see if you can get a couple tomatoes growing!! Clear plastic makes a greenhouse over some wire or PVC frame.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, today I was home early and decided that I really should clean out the fridge. Not trying to tell ya'll how long it had been, but the pigs were most appreciative of the bounty! Even the little ones were scrounging on stuff I threw out. At a week old - ok, 8 days old - they appreciated an old wrinkly apple, a few grapes, left over Mexican rice and stale raisin bread. It was soooo cute watching them learn to actually chew instead of just suck, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aww cute! My pigs get mad at me when I go out to feed them and only have grain. They expect scraps now. Brats!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last time I checked the rain gauge - was nearing 5 inches today. Oh My Gosh! But, the positive note is that I discovered that there is a hole in my left boot, lol! Means I get a new pair of boots - woo hoo!

Made a big ol' pot of chili today - just seems like chili weather. Got cooler as the day went on - but not anything like some of you guys are getting. HOWEVER - we might be near freezing by Friday...:thI don't want to wish for it - but it might be a good thing to kill off some of the bugs that plague the garden so terribly in the spring.

Pigsters are growing like little weeds! They are getting stocky and thick. I've been trying to mess with them as often as I can. There are a few that already value a tummy rub!

Trying to decide now whether to castrate or not castrate. Decisions, decisions!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Is there a difference in taste and temperament?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, "they" say that these guys don't have boar taint, so that shouldn't be an issue. And, luckily they are very docile and friendly - so that isn't a concern either. My issue is that when I decide to pasture them, that they will breed their siblings. And, I want planned/expected breedings..not breeding willy nilly.

I have four males and more females...so the hope is that I can sell the males. Will they sell easier if castrated or intact - who knows? Maybe I'll do two and leave two....

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We are all for castration. But we have full size pigs too so it's different! I personally still would, so you don't have to run an extra pasture. Unless you have people wanting a boar... If you're raising for meat I would do it. I know a lot of people are going against it now but my husband says they get over it quickly and our friend who does it has never ever had issues with infection or anything.

Cold huh... Yeah tomorrow nights forecast says low of 20 degrees.