Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL -- always tomorrow, right? the sows will probably appreciate the rest, even tho these pigs are GREAT moms.

My last preggers doe kidded twins, 1 doe/1 buck, this afternoon. That's 14 kids, 10 bucklings!! Hope you have more does when your decide it's time. Already working on selling all the boys. Will keep doelings a little longer -- one will keep to maturity for a milker.

GARDENS -- Can you believe it is almost March?? We've been upper 70 & low 80 last week. Amazing! Wanted to till today but winds whipped up about noon and no way. 25 MPH doesn't work with dirt flying. Chickens laying well and 2 new customers. Truckload of produce from my "outdate supplier" made goats & chickens real happy. Me, too!!

Hope the trailer insert is what you want. Congrats on the re-wire. DH is trying to become a farmer...praise him!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on having all your babies on the ground! I think my first due date is 3/6...or is it 3/8? I dunno...it'll happen when it happens. Got some nice full udders on the two that are due first - not tight yet - but nice and full. Ligaments are getting soft, but it's not time to get excited yet. Hoping for pink for sure! Or maybe I should want boys...I'm not so tempted to keep boys lol. I'm down to 29 goats for the moment. I don't want to be up to 50 in a month or so! I think I've decided that I've got 10 bred...some won't kid until May-ish I think. I SO didn't keep good records this year...shame on me.

The folks I sold the piglet to today told me this will be their second AGH - and that the first one was the BEST pork they'd ever tasted. That's exciting! I'm dying to try it - sooooo... As soon as I get this trailer home I'm gonna park it and start feeding pigs in it so I can close the door and haul one off!

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So did you cut the males? You'll have to separate them soon if not right? If I was going to raise a couple for myself I would leave them on mom. She'll kick them off when she's ready and they'll grow great.

Yay for kids soon!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did not cut the males... But, I've only got two baby males right now and one of them is supposed to go next week. I'm thinking that if I don't sell the other one - he'll be the first one we butcher ourselves. OR, if I butcher both of the big boars I could let him breed the females and simply plan on all offspring to be terminal. I dunno yet... I like the idea of having both big boars gone just to lighten up the feed bill. And they're growing tusks - I don't know what to do about tusks. They're not mean at all and have never been aggressive but don't you have to trim tusks? I need to do more research I guess.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't really know about tusks either. Never had a pig live long enough here. We have a friend who has a pot belly who I think had the vet out to deal with his tusk situation.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked up the new livestock trailer insert yesterday - yay! It's a relief to have it and know I can move critters anytime I need to now. AND - if I ever need a high dry place to put some critters they can go in there too. Also think that I can get round bales into it so hoping there's no need to ever take it off.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh - and the next time Cowboy needs to go to the vet - he's going in the trailer, lol. No more corn crap in my truck! :lol:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Congrats on the trailer and on selling a pig! You don't have to feed them in the trailer until a week before time to go. Then if you need to use your trailer, it won't be "busy"