Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your DH and GD :hugs Glad to hear the good news in-between though, about the trailer and the pigs etc.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you really need to retire. I've tried it and find it to be fabulous.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, you really need to retire. I've tried it and find it to be fabulous.
Don't I know that! I wish I could....Just 2 years and 9 months to go... :he

I got so excited last night. I went to the freezer to find something for dinner tonight and found the last quart of goat milk that I'd frozen! I finally had the perfect cup of coffee this morning! Can you say "simple pleasures?"

I've got goats due next week so thankfully it won't be much longer before I start milking again. I'll give the girls a couple weeks to clear all the colostrum and I'll be a happy coffee drinker again!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll have goat milk again.... Uh...in a year

Exciting, kidding season! My DH asked me this morning, how much milk you get from kinders?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well I had 6 does, nursing babes, with their butts to me while eating hay this morning. Talk about MILK :ep there it was all packaged up & waiting for me. Guess next week will be "start to milk" week. 3 Saanen/Nub cross and 2 mini nub. I swear those minis hold a lot & both nursing trips. This will be work as the two minis aren't trained -- 1 not at all, other has been 3 yrs. One of the S/N cross, never. Say.......OH, MY! :cool: Hmmmm At least I do have a couple customers waiting for the "pet use" milk. Good thing. Easy 4 gal a day out there.

So glad you found that hidden stash. :clap Nothing like good coffee. I drink mine straight but, use the milk in my hot tea. Plus I drink about a quart a day when I'm milking.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The older (multiple freshenings) Kinders have all given a minimum of 3 qts a day at peak. My ff last year topped 2qts, and I was hoping for better from her this year - except I missed getting her bred. I'm going to try to get some does bred for fall kidding. I've never tried breeding the Kinders "off-season" so I don't even know if it'll work. Theoretically, it should. But, we're gonna find out! The pygmy buck would have no problem breeding any month of the year. I've had pygmy's born in every month of the year. Just depends on if the girls cycle.... Stay tuned!

Loved, loved, loved my coffee today! I'm not saying this will happen - but the goat milk might accidentally get shoved to the back of the fridge where no one but me will find it. :hu

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My son came and borrowed the tractor today. And, as any self-respecting mother would do - I presented him with a list of "to-do's" before he could load/borrow said tractor. We moved a round bale, moved the new livestock/trailer...took all of 10 minutes so I added another couple chores. My tiller and push mower have both been sitting without being started in quite some time, and I always have a problem getting them happy again. So, he put fresh gas in the push mower and it started first pull. Tiller started on the second pull. I love my son! I am 100% convinced that if I had tried to start either one of them that I'd still be out there pulling on that string! Engines are afraid NOT to start for him, lol.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They're probably female… ;)

(The engines)

Gosh, I'm having goat/milk envy here now. I can't wait to be on my own place with enough land to keep a goat or two for milking.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - that's probably true about the engines, lol. It was so funny, he pulls the string, the engine starts, and he gives me that "look"... The look that says I know you're crazy, but I know better than to say so, lol!!

I'm having a cup of coffee right now with the last of that quart of milk that I found. :( I'll just have to hold out a couple more weeks. I've got a couple does who are close - really close!