Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I might get bold and leave it out this time...I just use our pit/smoker (it's Texas, lol - everybody has some kind of version of one!) but it needs to be watched really closely to do it that way as opposed to an electric smoker that you can program. But I was happy with it the last time so I'll do it that way again. I think I used Apple wood last time so that's probably what I'll use this time too.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yep well use apple wood too. I need to do some research on pink salt. I did a quick search and it looks like you need it for cold smoking, or if it will spend a lot of time between 40-140 degrees. More research tomorrow!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have bellies from both pigs in the freezer. Next week, I "plan" to have 2 days off. Tonight I watched a cooking show thing where they used a pork belly for cooking with some Brussels sprouts. So, before use, the cooked that belly in a pyrex, covered in foil with some water, salt, white & brown sugars, until tender...couple hrs, of course depends on quantity....then uncovered, baked more to dry some & brown/crisp, then sliced. I swear, that looked like great bacon, just not thin sliced, as they were using more chunks.

Thinking I may use one slab cut thinner, in a similar manner. Of course, you do not have the same "storage" value as the dried & smoked type. Well, I don't think so. Fully cooked, you could then re=freeze. The stuff is waiting for me, so I may experiment. May not happen as soon as next week but, will in a kinda soon time. :p........I want to do something with it. If it can be done like that and taste like bacon, I'm on it. Especially when the garden ripe tomatoes happen. LOVE a BLT!:caf

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had pork chops last night - yum! They aren't big, lol. But, I cooked 6 and we only ate 4 - actually I had one and DH had three, lol. I deliberately didn't do anything 'special' to them just so we could get the true taste of the meat. I can't wait to try more, more, more!

Gonna have to do some disbudding today IF I can catch the little buggers. They aren't exactly lovable and cuddly...ugh. That's the only reason I can see for NOT having all da babies at once....they play with each other instead of learning to play with me! There are a few of them that want to be friendly, but after I get through with 'em today they probably won't think that's such a good idea. Ugh.

Gonna get the rest of my tomatoes planted today too. Picked up some pepper plants too so I'll get them taken care of and I guess I'll start some eggplant from seed since I can't find any in town.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Just disbudded THIRTEEN baby goats....I hate it - but at least it's done. Of course, I still have those other 4'ish does that are holding out on me....ugh!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am having serious technical difficulties lol. I don't know why that post happened. Ok anyway that is a LOT of disbudding! Do you do it yourself or does DH help you? WOW!

I'm glad your pork was yummy! No boar taint huh? That's awesome.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not even a hint of boar taint. I had a bite of pure fat from the edge of the pork chop and it was delicious! And, I'm pleasantly surprised that there's not just gobs of fat on the chops. Maybe 1/2 inch layer...

Yep, I do all the disbudding alone, mostly. DH is working this weekend trying to catch up from being out while he was sick. If he's here, he'll help hold while I shave their heads, but it was all me today. Now the push will be on to try to tame them down. They have serious trust issues with me at the moment. :( I can't say that I blame them a bit.

Had the BEST shower - I was covered with goat hair and a whole lot of burnt goat stink...ugh! Next step - go out and get dirty again filling planting tubs with dirt, planting those tomatoes/peppers, starting eggplant and whatever other seeds I can find to plant. Whoo Hoo! Gardening!

OH....and I tore up the mower yesterday - that's making me happy....not. Just mowing along when all of a sudden the blades stopped turning. Looked behind me and there's a pulley laying on the ground. Must be an important part I guess, lol! Drives me crazy that the back yard is half mowed. At least I got the front and side done. That's the part that's visible from the street so at least we don't look totally ghetto. Back yard is behind a wooden fence and not visible from the road. Wish I could let the goats in and tell them exactly what to eat...but they won't leave my fruit trees alone. Grrrrr!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo gardening! I need to start my tomatoes and assorted other things in probably a week or two. Last frost is usually sometime between Memorial Day and June 15th. Usually safe around June 1st though.

I am lucky, my husband grew up on a farm and he gives shots and does hoof trimmings for me! I'm going to have the vet disbud my kids for me. Honestly at $15/kid, and I have no plans of having more than 4-5 does kidding, I'll just pay for it!

Latest posts