Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks Sumi! Poor DH went back to the doc this morning. He's got pulmonary edema and they are recommending he see his cardiologist. Cardiologist is out of town and won't be back until Wednesday. Doc-in-the-box prescribed Lasix for him... Geeze, beginning to look like we're never gonna get past all of this! GRRRRRR

Forgot to mention that I finally, finally got some tomatoes planted. I put three plants into each of two pots for a whopping total of 6 tomato plants... I usually have at least 25 - 40. I'm not giving up on just six though - I'll get some more going hopefully. And, I found one potato in the bottom of the potato drawer that was growing really well all on it's own so I cut it into three pieces and I'm gonna stick it somewhere, lol. Woo hoo - I'm gardening!

Left one doe off of the above list: Nubian doe x Nubian buck = twin Nubian bucklings.

Hoping for no more births for a couple weeks!

The FF Nubian gal - the one that had mini-nub babies has a really nice udder. Seems that Dusty, the Nubian buck, is really improving the udders on his kids. I guess that means I have to keep these two mini-nub girls. They can't hardly help but have nice udders when it's their turn in a couple years. I really need to move my original Nubians cuz their udders are really crap. They milk well...but that's about it.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, sorry to hear that :hugs

You reminded me of something now, planting stuff. I was thinking about it last week, it was so warm here, but now the weather went sideways again and they are talking of possible snow this week. Which for us would be a bit of sleet and maybe a thin layer settling for an hour or a few. That should be o.k. for potatoes surely?

As you can tell I'm a clueless, former Southern Hemisphere dweller! I have no idea about the planting seasons and dealing with this cold (for me) weather. We rarely had frost where I'm from. :hide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks, Sumi!

I would think that potatoes would be ok even with a light frost....cover them with a thick layer of hay and they should be fine.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks! I'm going to see what I can find here hay-wise. I'm planning to move in a few weeks, so I'm going to grow them in tubs again. That would make protecting them easier too.

We had snow overnight btw.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Your poor husband! Sorry to hear more bad health news.

You need to move those bad udders out to make room to keep some babies with good ones! Someone who wants a backyard homestead type goat won't care as much about udders as long as they milk well. Thanks to you and the BYH'ers I'm no longer happy with bad udders, I never used to care either lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi - inquiring minds want to know about your move!

I didn't much care about udders when I first got into Nubians either. I just thought that a big udder was a great thing....now I know that a great udder is a great thing, lol!

I do feel bad for poor DH! I understand now how something as "simple" as the flu can be lethal! I shudder to think of the outcome if someone like my dad caught this. I don't think he would survive it. :( Evil, evil germ!

I'm back at work this week and all I can say is that it's a good thing I work with such great people. My boss doesn't care if I lay my head on my desk for awhile if I need to. And, just to make matters better - I have to work Saturday. We run two Saturday's a month to get our students extra tutoring. It's 'my' Saturday this week. Usually one of the gals would trade with me no problem - except they're both going to be out of town. It'll be ok though... the instructors will run the classes I just have to play 'principal' for six hours!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Planting veggies -- sounds so nice. We had warmest Feb on record for us, then mid March 10 days of that Canadian cold. 28 at night with heavy winds, so 13 with wind chills :eek: Very cold for our "norm" this time of yr. Warming some but...

Now, I have a box of red potatoes -- maybe 10# -- that I forgot in the garage by the bathroom sink. They have sprouts 3-4" long and ready to leaf. :idunno Now I need to put them in soil. Yep, they will handle the cooler weather/soil, so hope I can get that done soon. A friend has some Rutgers tomato plants ready to set out and offered some. They are not my usual to grow but, free & already started sounds great! Have seeds a plenty.

This is the start of our busy season for one of my jobs. Generally it's ok but one rep in our area is in hospital and her stores needed coverage. Yep, bad weather, might as well work. Between that & my 2nd PT I have now taken today off after 15 days of working. I'm DUE. Probably only 1 day a week off for next 2 months. Some days I get finished early and am home about 2 in afternoon. Juggle, juggle, juggle....time & work with weather. :caf

Hmmmm.....fluids are a problem for heart patients, as you know. He needs to get some help. How are the eyes doing? Would SS disability be a choice? With heart & diabetes issues, maybe? Is loss of sight enough for any degree of "blind"? I ask because my step-dad had these eye bleeds often.