Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bummer on the eye! I hope he's able to get that over with soon, it's been rough for him (and you) lately. You both need a break!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Prayers for the eyes to rejuvenate. Hope the surgery goes smoothly. Since the surgery was already planned, so long as the new employer knows, I would suspect that they will understand and work around it. Most will. After all, life happens all along before jobs open up.

this coming up generation is physically pretty lazy since all of them generally have phones or game controllers glued to their hands from birth

That's the truth!!!!! When I was a kid it was who had the best bike -- or could climb the highest tree (I still love to climb even at my age!). Plus we had outside exercise with play equipment that challenged our bodies. Sadly, today's kids are not as healthy in a physical sense. Between bad food and no exercise -- geesh! OK, you know the reasons, I will step off the soapbox.:old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll. It really was a bummer. His sight had been getting a little better every day for a week - then it stopped. His peripheral vision is pretty good, but the center of his field of vision is where the cataract is and that's why it's not getting any better. I know this is just a small bump in the road - and we knew it was possible - just didn't expect it to happen so quickly.

I just dropped, and broke, a half gallon of milk in the kitchen. What a great way to start the day - NOT. But, I refuse to cry over spilled milk... Might cry over having to mop the floor first thing on a Saturday morning though!

Had a call from the guy who bought a bunch of goats from me a couple months ago. He's looking for more...females only this time. I could sell him a few more but he's gonna want them at the same low price I sold the others and I can't do that again. I practically gave him those goats. So gotta weigh it out in my head....lower the feed bill...make my life easier...or hold out for more money?

Gotta get busy.

Happy Saturday ya'll!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would just tell him you gave him a super deal last time and you can't afford to sell him more at that price. See if he'll bite. Lowering the feed bill is good, but you've invested a lot in those animals and no sense taking another big hit.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Agree with this ^^^

Sorry to hear about DH's eyes :hugs And the milk, that was not the best start to the day no… Hope today will be good for you :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's what I will do - if I can decide what/who to sell. Looks like I'm going to have to put it off for awhile anyway because I'll be using most of today to do "just in case of a storm" prep.

Weather folks are saying we might get a Tropical system next week. I don't expect it will make hurricane status but still makes sense to get ready for the worst. We will be filling the gas cans this morning. Of course, ALLLL my cans are empty right now so this is not going to be a small endeavor! I think I've got 7 or 8 five gallon cans that are empty - and one for diesel that I'll go ahead and fill up too. I think the tractor is full - but I need to go crank it up and see. Also need to drag out the generator and see if it's good to go.

I'll also stock up on feed for the critters tomorrow. We'll be fine on critter water - there's a pond and if this system comes our way there will be plenty of water puddles everywhere and my lazy critters drink out of those before they walk to a trough... geeze THAT'S clean - ugh.

And, just to make my life more complicated DH is leaving today to go to his week-long training in Austin. He'll be fine there and away from any storm related problems - AND - I'll be alone. Eh...not that big a deal really. I'd rather he be outta harms way with all the other problems he has, lol. I just need to be sure he packs enough of his meds to last him a few extra days if needed.

Gonna be a busy day - guess I need to get started.

Happy Father's Day, ya'll. (Glad I visited my dad yesterday!)

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I hope the storm doesn't come for you guys, but in case it does, yes best be prepared… :hugs

We're having day two of quite warm, sunny, clear skies, not a drop of rain wonderfulness here :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek hope you stay safe there! I hate being alone for big storms. Hope DH's health maintains for his solo week!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's always smart to get prepared for hurricane season. Be sure to buy some fuel conditioner for that gas. Is there a non-ethanol station near you? There is one 9 miles from us and we take the car there to fill up. Diesel for the truck-we bought a 500 gallon tank, got tired of 5 gallon cans to feed the tractor. LOL

https://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TX

If water is a problem, I always filled every pot and pitcher I had, plus filled buckets and put in the bathroom for flushing. A handy coffee can dipper poured straight in the toilet will wash it on down! I also bought brand new plastic garbage cans with lids and filled them on the porch with the lids taped down. A BBQ pit or gas grill can also come in handy. Pick up everything that might become a projectile and batten down the hatches!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH made it to Austin... I was so worried about him driving, but he made it!

We got a lot of preps done today too. Gas cans are full. We won't need stabilizer at this time because, after all it is summer, and we'll use it up in the lawnmower pretty quickly. I have 30 -35 gallons.

The gas I buy in late summer/fall, we will stabilize. Gas purchase is a twice a year thing for us... I hate to buy gas one can at a time, lol. Spring and fall is enough for me.

I'd like a storage tank for diesel - but can't foresee needing a 500 gallon one! I literally probably don't use more than 50 gallons a year - if that. I mow the pasture several times a year, move a few bales of hay...push in a t-post or two...that's about it! And, every time my son uses it he brings it back full!

I should be ok on water. I have two big totes full for the animals, but will likely not use a drop of it. Animals will use the pond or ground water. The generator pulls the well so we can pump water. Generator started right up, so that's a good feeling. I will, however do the 'fill all containers' thing too. I mean, a tree could fall on the pump and break something I suppose - or the generator could crap out so I'll definitely store water.

Didn't get diesel cuz stupid tractor didn't want to start so I'm not gonna feed it! It's almost full anyway and I was only gonna get 5 gallons. Not sure if the battery is dead, or if it's the stupid ignition switch. Don't foresee needing it in the next week or so - but I do like to KNOW that it's going to start when I need it to. GRRRR!!

Got the camp stove out and started it. Have plenty of propane. Probably all I still need to do is find my French press for coffee and maybe pick up a bag of charcoal. Oh...and some extra animal feed. Dat's all!

I'm really not expecting much out of this even if it does head our direction... but it's nice to be ready for whatever.

Last edited:

Latest posts