Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM Big :hugs for you and for DH, poor man with his eyes and you have your hands so full with him, goats, your parents and everything else. Hopefully FEMA will help your parents soon as possible as well and your DH's eyes will finally get to as good as they can be.

Re his car and feet, my dad was mostly paralysed from around his chest down after a botched back surgery when I was about 8 or 9. He got round with a wheelchair, but still wanted to drive, so had a car adapted with hand controls, connected to the pedals. He had to get a special drivers licence if I remember correctly, or give them a demonstration of how he'd be controlling the vehicle driving like that, but did that with no problems and was able to drive again. It just took a few simple modifications. That may be something to keep in mind for your DH, should his feet problem get worse or become a bigger concern (hopefully not!).

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh dear FEM... Your poor husband! And you too. You need someone to take care of you with all you've got going on! Are your parents doing well with the caregiver?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
my dad was mostly paralysed from around his chest down after a botched back surgery when I was about 8 or 9.

That must have been horrible for him and your family. So sorry for that! Definitely a "Yes" to hand controls for the car if it comes down to that! I knew a kid growing up who had them in his car so we've already got that in the back of our mind.

My brother has indicated to me that since I have power of attorney over my parents (and he's never been happy about it) that it is now MY responsibility to take care of everything with FEMA. (even though mom/dad could designate him as a representative I guess his childish side is coming out - I get it - he's stressed about his own situation.) When the money comes into their bank account he's said that he will take over coordinating the repair work. Ok, so added to my list is uploading the two powers of attorney (one for mom and one for dad) to the FEMA site, and making arrangements for the inspection and taking another day or so off of work to get down there for it. Check!

The home health company 'suggested' that I get mom and dad both in to see their primary care physician for a check-up and medication review. I don't disagree with them on that so I'll try to get an appointment for them at the same time so I can get them back to their hometown to see their regular doctor. I'll have to ask the caregiver to go with me because I can't handle both of them at the same time for something like that. Can't take them each to a different bathroom and leave the other untended...

Oh, and of course there's DH's surgery next week and all the accompanying follow up visits that go with that.

Goats, chickens, pigs, dogs and horses are NOT work for me right now - they are my 'touchstones' and my sanity, lol!

And, there's a little thing called MY JOB that needs to fit in there somewhere too. YAY!

Gonna sneak outside and try to get some pigs moved, milk a goat that I've added to the lineup and let the milkers out to pasture for the day.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
YAY - I'm so happy I could just spit, lol. (little victories give me joy these days!) I'm using this time when the entire household is still asleep to get a few things done. I got lucky and got three pigs separated from the others and moved into the garden area where at least one of them will spend the remainder of his days. He will go to freezer camp sometime before spring. Vague timing, huh?

My favorite hay field about a mile from me had activity yesterday so I pulled in and talked to the hay man. I asked him if I could just pay him for some hay and drive my tractor up and get it when I need it. He was fine with that. It means he doesn't have to bring his equipment out and load me up. I can just hop on the Blue Beast and grab a (big round) bale when I need it. AWESOME - that will make my life a little easier. Except for allllllllllll that time I'll be forced to spend on the tractor going back and forth to get it. How sad is that...? A little time with no interruptions...just for me...all alone... me and the Blue Beast! I'm ok with it! :celebrate

I need to get behind the push mower today after mowing with the rider. There has been NO trim work done around here practically all summer and I'm tired of my place looking so shaggy. GRRRRRR - I'll see if I can get some of that taken care of today. Tooo bad it will keep me outside a lot, huh?

The other thing I've got to do because I simply can't stand it anymore is to get mom and dad out on the back porch and work on their toenails. They're like claws - YUCK! Going outside to do it cuz I don't want toenail dust flying all over the house. I bought one of those battery powered filing tools...sure hope it works!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They make me gag too....argh! Couple months ago when the oldsters were still in their home I went down and they asked me to work on my dads nails. I made the mistake of soaking his feet first because the nails were soooo hard....but oh my gosh....the smell of wet toenails was literally enough to make me ill. I snipped a little off of each toe and I had to stop. I'm hoping this tool will make it easier to deal with. But - I'd rather do toenails than some of the other stuff that has to be done. There are things that I simply can NOT do for my father... just can't/won't do. Nope. And, that's my final answer.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I thought your caregiver was cool with thr toenails. I would so pay extra to not have to do that. Like, a LOT extra!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
She did say that, but she's so sweet that if they say they don't want to do it - she doesn't make them do it. I, on the other hand, am more insistent. Also, dad's fingernails are filthy...and there's only one thing that could be under them and I can't deal with knowing that! They need to be soaked in antibacterial laced soapy water, and clipped and scrubbed. UGH! :eek: :sick

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness FEM, you have a LOT on your plate already and the pile just keeps getting bigger :hugs I love your positive attitude though, looking for the small positive things in all this craziness, like the hay and the little times away from everything.