Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There will be times that just to go to the bathroom is a small privacy victory......although you'll be wondering what is going on "out there" and you're on the pot with your pants down.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Because that is also my life!!
I remember THOSE days too!

I do have my moments where my attitude isn't so positive! Ask DH or my dad after yesterday. Dad got himself in a 'tizzy' yesterday because he didn't want DH to bathe him. Now - ya gotta understand that dad had a bad afternoon while we were at the doc...and he...kinda made a mess everywhere and my AWESOME caregiver had to clean him as best she could. Dad wasn't happy about it. It meant DH had to finish the job when we got home and dad wanted no part of another man bathing him. (even though he's bathed him several times already)

He was yelling at us that if he had his car he'd be OUTTA HERE! Hell, if he had his car (truck actually) he could neither climb up in it or drive it away, lol. Bless his little pea-picking heart. He's normally a pretty easy going fella but occasionally that "male ego" thing still makes an appearance. I yelled right back at him, lol. Not out of anger - but because he can't hear!! DH and I snuck around the corner and snickered a little. And, at dinner, after he'd forgotten all about it he asked me to pass the salt. I smiled and sweetly said "here ya go you grouchy old goat!" (cuz sometimes its nice when they can't hear ya) ;)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... I have to ask... How on earth were they doing it without you?? I mean... Wow.

Bless your husband... Mine would never, ever do that. He would work extra hours to pay someone to do it, but no bathing of anyone not our child.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... I have to ask... How on earth were they doing it without you?? I mean... Wow.
That seems to be the 64K dollar question...

Pre hurricane/flood: My brother and sis in law live next door to them. Sis-in-law carried a lot of the burden of just 'reminding' them to do things. She would do their shopping and remind them to bathe. They were much more comfortable in their own home. Being moved out of their element has set them back. It's been a hair over two weeks and they are finally kinda settling in here. Dad only asked about half the time yesterday where the bathroom was. Now when he asks, I just point in the general direction and kinda make him find it on his own. I mean, there's only a living room, hallway, dining room and kitchen downstairs...it's not that hard to go to the end of the hall to the bathroom. Oh... and there's their bedroom off the dining room. He sure knows how to get there! The two most important rooms in my dads life are the bedroom and the bathroom.

I do remember my mom telling me that she had to clean up his mess occasionally. But, she still seems to think they can go back home - I keep telling her that it's not going to happen without help. They actually do fine at night...how hard is it to sleep, lol. But, for their daily activities they need a little assistance. They're both healthy enough in body...very forgetful in mind. But - they are both at least reality based. No delusions or crazy stuff! Thank goodness! Dad likes to talk about his time in the army...mom just listens and nods, lol. She's heard it all before!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So... Your brother lives next door to them and he thinks you should have to deal with FEMA? ughhh families!

That's true, being in a new place must be difficult for them. Part of the reason they didn't move my step-grandfather out of his house was that he would have been so confused.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What a difference a day makes... or in the case of my folks... just an hour or two makes a big difference.

Today dad is on his best behavior! He's been telling mom how much he loves her....talking about their wedding 67 years ago. Complimented dinner, has been telling DH all about his childhood. It's been nice!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FEM, you're really a pretty amazing person! Im a firm believer that God doesn't give a person more than they can handle (at least not without his help anyway...) Sooo, He must really think pretty highly of you...
I'm glad to hear that they finally have a reason for the blurred vision and can try to fix it soon. Glad to hear you're able to find some release by going outside and dealing with the animals, hay, work, etc. How did the interview go? Any word? How does DH think it went?