Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think most Nubians, at least around here, are of the long and lean body style. The Kinder (her daughter) standing next to her weighs 135...only 35 lbs difference between them. I would never have believed the Kinder weighed that much until I put the tape on her. But, she does have a seriously big barrel. Most of my Kinder's are that way.... very 'stout' goats. For me the Kinders are just about the perfect size. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have me reliving and I so understand and sympathize. That is why I KNOW that while more work, the animals are a jerk back to reality and normal for you.
AMEN! I literally use them as my 'touchstone'. When the weather cools off some I'll try to get mom and dad out there to see them. I've got a wheelchair that I can put dad in and then mom could use his walker (even though she gets around pretty well without anything). It will give her a little stability on un-level ground.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent the day home with the oldsters. We had a GREAT day. They figured out that you can find just about Anything on the internet. No - let me rephrase that. They figured out that I can find just about Anything on the internet. We spent hours on Google earth looking at their hometowns, the place they got married, some of the places that they'd lived and worked. It was really cool! And, I'm exhausted, lol.

Their caregiver called today and said she was on her way home. I LOVE this woman! Of course, I was kinda thinking being home tomorrow wouldn't be so bad. We're supposed to get a cool front over night. I swear - timing is everything.

I got my hay covered, finally. Got a couple chickens separated to save some eggs and have a new batch of pure chicks. I love, love, love my Coronation Sussex and I need more of them. I'm going to separate them now even though laying is probably going to not be great until spring... but who knows I might get lucky!

I've gotten 5 whole eggs from the quail...ugh. Think I'm gonna stick 'em in the incubator and hope for the best. Or just go buy some more.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chester -- you say he's standing behind the black doe laying down -- do you mean that little black fuzz with the white tips on his nose/head??? Heck, I thought that was a kid! Dang! If he's a yearling buck and thinks he can breed those girls, wow -- what an imagination!! :lol::lol: You go, boy!!:clap He's a real half pint.

Of course, ladies can be helpful and laying down. he could do the deed! Bet he's trying anyway.

So glad you had a good day off and were able to enjoy it!! I'm sure mom & dad loved the attention. However, no doubt you were really, really glad to hear the sitter was on her way. It just pulls the pressure somewhat.

Have some vino.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the moon spots! Just gorgeous! I love Cowboy too. I am a Cowboy fan.

My heart goes out to your and your parents. There is no easy way to do this, you will just have to go forward and do the best you can.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chester -- you say he's standing behind the black doe laying down -- do you mean that little black fuzz with the white tips on his nose/head???

That is Chester (the itty, bitty Pygmy) lol. Actually, he's dark brown in real life... monitors don't always catch subtle color differences. He is a spring baby from this year - but is well over 6 months old and fully capable of breeding ANYTHING he can REACH, (which won't be much) lol!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After spending the day with my folks on Monday and finding out a few details of their early life that they've never shared, I've been trying to do a little research.

My mom was born in a small (very small - population 170ish) town in West Virginia called Camden-on-the-Gauley. I'm like--HUH? LOL. So, I looked it up and sure 'nuff - there it was right on Google. Tiny little place, with mountains in the background...very picturesque from what few pics I saw.

Funny how mom doesn't remember much about her childhood, but when I pulled up the pics she recognized main street.

The place dad was born is even smaller...basically an intersection in the road in the Texas Panhandle. Flat, dry terrain. He talks so fondly of it.

Didn't get out to milk until much later than usual last night. Dinner was delayed ... just because...old folks have issues sometimes. BUT, going out after dark to milk is it's own special challenge. The gals had obviously given up on me and had bedded down - except for Red. She's in raging heat and was at the bucks fenceline. Dusty was sticking his head through and rubbing his smelly self all over her. So,,, I got to milk a bucky smelling goat which didn't help the way I smelled one bit!

I need to watch the other doe (Cocoa) because I haven't seen her in heat lately. Probably because I haven't been paying attention...but I need to. If she's bred I'll have to dry her off before kidding. After not planning on having any kids next spring I'm actually kinda excited about having a FEW! Emphasis on FEW!

Stuck the 5 quail eggs in the incubator...geeze louise. Kinda disappointed that they aren't doing better even after putting lights on them. My other quail layed pretty much year round.

I should really try to move some pigs. Eight on the hoof is enough...actually MORE than enough.

I'd like to get some broccoli and greens in the ground - but not sure it's gonna happen :fl. I could put them in tubs if necessary - but the stuff in the ground does so much better. I love me some fresh broccoli for sure. I might even pull a couple tubs up close to the back porch and let mom have her own little container garden. She used to love to garden. I'll add that to my list, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I smelled the milk, lol. I'm sure that was a picture with my face buried in a milk jug - but didn't notice anything. The smell was mostly on her head and neck because that's all the buck could reach. I wash their udders really well before I milk - so I'm pretty sure it'll be ok. If not, the dogs, chickens, and/or pigs will enjoy it anyway!

I forgot to mention that I found some kefir grains in the back of my fridge that I stuck back there quite some time ago. I drug 'em out and am hoping to get them started again. I think the probiotics in 'em would be good for the oldsters. I know they like the taste because I gave them some a couple years back and they wanted more!