Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, my theory is that if he needs the surgery the recovery would be quicker than waiting for the pain to go away on it's own.

My (good) neighbor asked me yesterday how I get through a day with all I've got going on. I told her it's easy...I don't even TRY to get through a whole day at a time, lol. I'm shooting for an hour. If I make it through that hour I can make it through the next one...whew!

Leaving work early AGAIN today because home health is coming to see the folks. I'm slightly worried about my dad. He seems to be weaker and sleeping more than usual. I really think he's not drinking enough fluids. We will be having soup every meal if that's what it takes to get fluids in him. GRRRRR -stubborn old people!

Still no more eggs from the quail. Thought about getting some more, but why? If these aren't going to lay until spring then the others would be the same way...ugh. Guess I'll just hope the five eggs in the incubator will hatch. My luck - one will hatch and I'll get to raise a tiny little quail all by itself - argh!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL...one quail chick. This summer I "saved" one egg by having 2 broodies share it, then neither would claim it!! I raised one, ONE...thankfully it was mid summer and no long deal with heat lamps as it was already waaay warm.

Anyway, HE loves me. Yep, a roo!! Gotta find him a home as I don't need it and after all the handling, well...he needs a home. LOL

I hope all 5 hatch!! Got a hen wanting to set for 2nd time this yr. But, not in the mood for chicks this late in year.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got two hens that are trying again...geeze! But, I don't care...weather won't get bad here til...maybe never.

Home health was here today. No big surprises, no terrible problems. She did order a nebulizer for dad. We had been trying an inhaler, but he just can't master the concept. He gets pretty winded just from walking to the bathroom and back. HIs respiration rate is pretty high - but his bp and heart rate are great.

Oh yay! Went out to milk tonight and noticed commotion in the pasture. Not one, not two, not three, but four bucks were out. I swear my fences aren't that bad, but those cedar posts do NOT hold on to staples. I had walked the fence line a few weeks ago and shored up any places that I thought looked like they might have a weakness. I missed a spot.... staples popped out, fence gapped open, bucks got out. Soooo it's nearly dark. I have to shore up the fence. I have to catch the bucks. I have to put them back in their own pen....and they don't want to go. I caught three of them pretty easily but that darn 4th one. He was NOT having it. Finally... finally I prevailed, lol.

I will NEVER again say I won't breed. Maybe next year I'll just turn allll the bucks out with allll the does in October and put 'em up in February. That will take the stress outta my life for sure.

TGI (almost) F

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ughh bucks! Did they get in with the girls or just out of their pen? Smelly way to spend your evening!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OH yes... it was a free for all, lol. They were only concentrating on one doe that I could see - so maybe it wasn't as bad as it could have been. Of course, she may have several 'baby daddies' ! I don't know why I even try....geeze.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol I never knew that could happen, but Clifford is only half siblings to one of the triplets in his... Litter? Do they call it a litter with goats? I dunno. Anyway, that poor doe! Lol

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, "multi" generally but, some of those pygmy do have a "litter"!! Guess it matters not. :rolleyes: Each one being fed is the issue for me to watch. Sometimes the inside tangle can be a problem at birthing -- most often not. They seem to just pop them out, Mother Nature at her best.

AS to breeding. If you want registered stock, then you need to keep that controlled. I did minis for years and all registered -- many hand breedings. The Boers, registered, yes I had controlled breedings with release times -- penned bucks and all that with which we are familiar. Now, I have some great milkers, some registered & some not. They milk just as well :\ and most kids are sold, esp bucks and they have been prevalent last 2 years. So OTHER than quality of kids there isn't as much concern with "who's the daddy", so to say. My area, milk does sell well without papers.

Freshen does to milk. Sell kids. If I know I want to retain from a doe, then I do control the buck selection. Here the buck is not with the does but, some farms run them all year -- generally with smaller herds. Or run them Fall & Winter, separate Spring. It's really as much of a choice for your farm use. So, sometimes I am looking to "trade" buck services. My buck is registered with great milk lines. Helps if other farm needs/wants to register. I don't show anything now but appreciate regs for those who do. Been there....just not my goal right now. Healthy animals with quality use is where I am.

Sounds like good nurse visit for oldsters. They are probably settling into their "new" routine now. That is important. It helps everyone.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mine are all registered but I've found around here, unless you're a dairy or big name, papers don't seem to sell. Well not any better than non-papered anyway, and no one wants to pay more for them. I only have one buck though so it's easier! I just can't tell when my darn does are in heat so he can live with them and figure it out lol (pretty sure he's better at it than me!)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The doe that was in heat is a pure, registered Nubian....the buck that was winning the fight(s) is the pure registered Nubian buck. I can always tell the pure Nubians by their ears! The only other buck that could reach her is the Kinder...and he throws Kinder ears, lol.

But, I've found the same thing as NHH here in regards to papers. Papers DID matter when I was selling show quality goats - they don't seem to matter to folks who just want 'a goat'.

I'm kinda ok with this happening even though I shouldn't be, lol. Who wants to feed 30 goats for a year and NOT have babies?

Latest posts