Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DH had his knee x-rayed Monday and has an appt. with an orthopedist today. I'm going to try to get to his appointment with him, but I've missed so much work I feel guilty. I'm so afraid that there's a big problem with that knee and that they'll recommend surgery of some sort. That CANNOT happen. No way - just no way. :( Fingers and everything else crossed that he gets good news instead of bad. :fl Have another eye appt for him in two weeks.

Also, have Home Health coming tomorrow to check up on mom/dad. I'll miss more work because of that. I'm so lucky to have a great boss - but geeze - there has to be an end to missing so much work.

DH has a contract job now - so no insurance or paid time off or any other perks. No 401K...no nothing. I HAVE to keep my job for two + more years to get my retirement and the benefit of being able to keep insurance on DH and I even after retirement. Like I said, I have a great boss but sometimes even her hands are tied. Miss too much work and get on HR's radar... might not be a good thing. :(

Holidays are coming up so maybe I can schedule some of the optional stuff for those days that I'm already off.

I've started taking all my supplements and vitamins again. I can NOT afford to get sick, lol. Too much going on and too little of me to go around, lol!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've started taking all my supplements and vitamins again. I can NOT afford to get sick, lol. Too much going on and too little of me to go around, lol!

Add enough sleep and good eating habits to that! I only had one other human to consider & I know it was stressful. Now, in case you haven't noticed :hide, you have three!! You really need to keep YOU taken care of, also. Some of the liquid supplements help you stay afloat with proteins, vit/min, so when you rush out with no breakfast ( yes!) you can drink some favorable things to carry you through. I find chocolate Bolthouse protein drink excellent...found in produce in a big bottle. Taste is great. Just a FYI to consider. :rolleyes:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I will consider anything at this point! With the oldsters there I am encouraged to cook a decent dinner every night. I try to watch out for their nutrition so I do have a good balanced meal at least once a day for them and DH and I, lol. Dad needs the extra fiber so we're eating lots of veggies.

I am awful about running out without breakfast, but there's a nice donut shop right on the way to work that I TRY not to stop at too often, lol. But, even if I did stop doughnuts are rarely on the list for me - I do enjoy a nice sausage kolache from time to time though. :drool

Since mom and dad have been with me I try to work through lunch so I can get out of here a little early and relieve the sitter - plus save mom/dad a couple hours on the sitters bill.

This chaotic life is becoming my new normal but I'm finding that something has to give - and it's usually my mind,lol!

A friend of mine used to have a little plaque in her kitchen. It said:

"Of all the things I've lost - I miss my mind the most."

Makes perfect sense to me!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am awful about running out without breakfast,

Figured as much! Everyone & thing there was fed tho...:cool: It's the rush to get done & get to work on time. I know. Get a bottle, carry a glass out and skip the donuts. Just for the sake of nutrition....;) Will help with the mid morning hunger you generally have, also. Carry lunch & eat early.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you ever do overnight oatmeal? Or smoothies? Both you can grab and eat/drink at your desk when you get to work!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks ya'll! I needed reminding that it's not that hard to get some quality nutrition without too much work.

Yes - for awhile I was on an overnight oatmeal kick. I need to do that again because it was sooooo easy and so good. Top the oatmeal with some yogurt and that's a pretty good breakfast. If my Kefir will start back up and get going that's another good option. Pretty healthy stuff.

I need to ask the caregiver to make mom and dad oatmeal more often. She told me that she fixed dad a "Mexican" (her words) breakfast this morning and that dad LOVED it. Where's mine? :drool

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have found that when I eat a decent breakfast my whole day is better. Just hard to make myself get around to it!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Getting to it is always the issue, right? I know it is here -- one reason or another but, mostly time. When I have leftovers from night before, that is my "usual" breakfast. Heat and eat!!! Mornings are just "tight" -- I mean we are waking up and have this huge list to do, then work for some, and we are always last on the list.

I make a pot of chili & a crockpot of ham/beans yesterday. Chili for breakfast! Cooler weather days I like to make a quiche for dinner, leftovers frozen for several breakfasts. It's tough to make breakfast "work". Bean/beef burritos are in my freezer as a breakfast food :th Works. Protein, fiber, filling, tasty, fast....can travel on drive to work. And I am so very glad for "no work" days, or late reporting ones. I just need to quit them all and stay home!!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Getting to it is definitely the problem. This cooking every night is wearing on me...and it's not even real cooking. I usually have leftovers so it's just a matter of heating things up half the time. I think I will make some overnight oatmeal for tomorrow's bkfst.

Need to go change the milk in the kefir and try to get that going. A glass of that in the mornings is a nice boost.

Saw the orthopedist doc this afternoon about DH's knee. He hopes it's just a bone bruise, but thinks there's a slight possibility that there's more going on. He prescribed a new anti-inflammatory and also ordered a MRI - BUT - told DH to hold off on scheduling the MRI until he's been on the new med for a minimum of a week...maybe even 10 days. He hopes the med will fix him right up - but said if it doesn't it will be an indicator that something else is going on and he will need to get that MRI. UGH. When asking about all possibilities he did mention surgery. It would be an outpatient procedure and it gives very good results for things like stress fractures...which is what he's hinting there might be. Doesn't seem too terrible and recovery is FAST (for normal people anyway, lol). By now it's apparent that DH is anything but normal, lol!!

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
:hugs Thank goodness you have an understanding boss, but you're right, you have to look after your job. And yourself!!!