Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Big :hugs for you and your DH.

When I lived in S.A. we grew peas in winter only. Lowest temperatures was a bit below freezing some nights and they were fine.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @sumi

I'm going to give it a try...just hope I can get to it this weekend. Lately I'm running about half a lifetime behind, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you are talking about English peas, plant them in January. That's when I planted them when I lived in Livingston and they did just fine. It seems the leaves can take a light freeze or frost, but the pea pods can't.

Don't forget to plant some green onions! And you can plant cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, and greens.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never had luck with cauliflower OR Brussel sprouts but broccoli and cabbage do beautifully here. I'll try to get some Napa cabbage planted too. Greens do well, usually...unless the bugs are still hanging around. I'm going to try the peas anyway :p....probably do some sugar snaps and another variety that I planted a couple years ago that did awesome. The worst that can happen is I waste a few seeds. I can always cover them if need be. Of course this all depends on if I can actually spend time in the garden...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Broad beans? We used to grow them in winter too.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to go work a community service project with our students this morning...but it wasn't mandatory, and they had plenty of help, so I passed on it. Kinda feel a little guilty about that but it gave me a few uninterrupted hours do get some things done here. So, I did get another small fencing problem tackled. I moved the smaller pigs out of the garden area - which was a nice adventure, lol. Thankfully they follow food anywhere! They are now in the buck pen. Haven't decided yet if I'll let them have the run of the pen or close a couple of gates and let them have their own half.

I had to get them moved so that I could get into the garden area. So, after I moved the pigs, I started raking up some dirt/poop/composted 'stuff' outta the little barn to add to my grow tubs. I think they can use the nutritional boost. Then (tah dah) I got some broccoli and cabbages planted in the tubs. I'm going to plant some more in the ground...but thought I'd just do a little comparison.

Came inside for a minute and snagged mom to get her upstairs for a shower. Whew...glad that's done. Sitting down with my feet up for a few minutes.

IF I get back to any more chores I'll see if I can get some pea seeds of some sorts in the ground. I'm excited about at least getting a fall garden started. But, while I was in the garden area I noticed that the area that was previously my asparagus bed was a favorite place of the rooting pigsters.... wonder if they left me any? Guess I'll find out in the spring...

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, no need to feel guilty, you have so much to do at home. Hope the pigsters left you some asparagus, they are terribly good at rooting up stuff :\

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, my excitement over starting my garden was short lived. I got the pigsters outta the garden, but I didn't get all of the chickens out. Soooo, after putting fresh 'stuff' in the grow tubs and loosening the dirt and mixing it all in the hens decided to get in there and dust bathe in Every. Stinking. One. Of. The. Tubs. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!