Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Personally, I don't eat enough eggs to make it worth keeping hens. Should eat more as they are healthy. But I like the chickens and I love to collect eggs.
Same here and I don't eat chicken meat either. Stopped about 10 years ago. Though I am starting to seriously consider starting again, I'm working up to it mentally. My 3 hens are spoiled brats that lay the odd egg.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ONE MORE thing -- quail do not CROW :lol:
True! They do have a little 'trill' sound that they make that is actually quite pleasant and sounds more like a songbird. The eggs are also healthier than chicken eggs according to those who give a hoot about that kinda stuff. To me...an egg is an egg!

Tried to sleep in this morning - crazy night with mom up and down and then some mysterious tapping noises on and off all night. I got up several times and made rounds looking for the source of the noise - but nuttin! Of course it didn't help that we'd watched "Ghost Adventures" right before bedtime, lol!

Oh well....going to head out and see what's going on in the barnyard.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
You got a ghost, FEM :hide

;)

Don't take this to the bank, it's hearsay, but I was told people allergic to chicken eggs can eat quail eggs. If that is true, another plus for them. AND their chicks are the cutest things! :love

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is interesting. My husband is allergic to duck eggs, which is a major bummer because I MUCH prefer keeping ducks to chickens.

I can't watch those shows before bedtime. I'm way too wimpy!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You got a ghost, FEM :hide
We definitely have had very unusual things happen in this house....has been going on pretty much the entire time I've lived here. Like the time my daughter was ill...and the next morning thanked me for sitting at the foot of her bed all night. Guess I'm a terrible mother - but it was not me! We usually don't get any kind of 'scary' vibe. In fact sometimes it's a peaceful, comforting feeling. But, on the other side of that coin are the times when we've woken up in the morning to find dishes shattered on the floor... So, maybe we've got a friendly presence that is offset by an mischievous one!

Things move, and electronics turn themselves on and off...strange! But, we've embraced it and usually are not fearful, lol! We've noticed over the years that things happen when there are 'upsets' in the house. Stressful or exciting things happening seems to be a trigger. Holidays are a prime example...guests also. When my DD and her kids visit - almost guaranteed that 'something' weird will go on. Maybe having mom/dad here is another trigger.

I can't say WHAT's going on - but I believe there are definitely unexplainable things in this universe!

And, on that note, I'm going to clean out a raised bed and try planting something there. The raised beds are in the yard and Gracie won't allow chickens in HER yard!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Creepy! My MIL's house is like that. Most of the activity centers around the pantry. And every time we bring my dog there he sits and growls at the pantry. Creeps me out.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The old house in Livingston was haunted by the old couple that built it. They were forced off their ranch when they were in their 70's. It was condemned to make way for Lake Livingston in the 1960's. They took the money they got for their ranch, bought a lot in town and built a sprawling comfortable brick house. What an undertaking for their age. The woman died in the house, but both of them stayed there. Guess ya couldn't expect them to hang out on their old ranch at the bottom of the lake.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's pretty cool, FEM. Well, saying that, I don't live there! lol I find this stuff fascinating and a bit sad. I've worked in haunted places and stayed in one of them for awhile. They never bothered me, whoever "they" were. When we fist came over to Ireland, about 4 years ago, we stayed in a haunted B&B one night. That one made a pest of itself, knocking on the door and messing with the bedcovers when we were sleeping.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, once again I've been side-tracked from my intended chore plan. GRRRR - stoopid big a$$ boar knocked the gate off the hinges - again! I went out to bring in the milkers and looked over to see my pigs in my neighbors yard and the gate on the ground. STinkers! Had to give 'em a bunch o' feed to keep em in place while I went and grabbed some tools. Hanging gates is always easier when there's two folks, but I didn't have my phone with me so I couldn't call DH to come out and help me and I HAD to get it back on the hinge pin. So, it's back on the hinge pin. I need to get a proper sized wrench out there to tighten it instead of using pliers - but pliers is what I had.

Guess I'll have to pop back out there and finish what I had planned instead of watching the game. No great loss since our best players are on the injured list anyway. :(

Last edited: