Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

treerooted

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Even though I need it - it would be weird having a stranger in my house overnight.

For sure, and you ideally want someone who you like too (and understands the needs of your parents). My mom had various issues with staff over the years. And while the help was needed, it was stressful too to have people rotating in and out of the house. But it was totally necessary and worth it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@sumi - Actifed is good stuff - unfortunately DH can't take a lot of meds that raise his blood pressure... poor guy. AND, I convinced him to go the urgent care before coming home because he just feels like crap. And, no wonder he feels like crap - he's got bronchitis....and as an added bonus - pinkeye. Yay - he's supposed to stay home the rest of the week - he really needs the rest too.

First night of Hospice protocol.... They are a big proponent of rest for the oldster(s) and they don't mind inducing that rest. Mom has a certain med that's for anxiety and agitation that I've only given her once because I was kind of afraid of it. Hospice has instructed that she be given one of those and one pain pill each evening to help her relax and diminish her sundowner symptoms - not to mention that she has a bad shoulder that hurts every day. So, being as fearful of drugs as I am I gave her a half the anxiety pill and half the pain pill to see how she reacts. She's in her jumping up and down out of bed stage and I can hear dad pleading with her to get back in bed. I've tucked her in 4 times in the last ten minutes...sigh. But, hopefully, the medication does it's job and she, and the rest of us, will get a good nights sleep. Caught her trying to stand in a laundry basket today. And, dad was talking to who knows who, or who knows what a lot of the day today.

Hospice even has a list of volunteers that can help with various things like shopping, cleaning and other tasks. I never knew these resources existed! Most likely won't need that - but what a great bunch of folks. Whenever this is over I'd like to check into volunteering in some way. DH and I like to do our little part to help support our community and this might be something for us to do when we retire.

Thanks again to all of ya for your support and kindness! :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Me toooooo! They haven't been out of bed for the last 10 - 15 minutes. I'm not gonna get excited yet, but definitely hopeful! I should probably go to bed soon...that way I might get a few hours in before their meds wear off!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Exactly! Earlier tonight she asked me if I'd get in the bed with 'em.....uh....no.:sick They wouldn't let me sleep with them when I was a little kid scared of thunderstorms - so I'm not gonna do it now either, lol! I tuck her in, pat her back and slip quietly outta the room.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, I hope you're getting a good night's rest now and your DH too. Sorry to hear he's unwell now.

That hospice sounds wonderful :) And it's a nice idea to give something back by volunteering with them later. But for now, take the help you can get and if you need to drug your mom to get her to sleep... Just trust the doctor and do it. Hopefully it will help :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't exactly call it a great night's sleep - but it was better than it has been. Mom did get up 3 times to go potty, but for two of them it was right back to bed. One of the times she seemed to have something caught in her throat and kept clearing her throat and spitting in the bathroom sink - argh. Then she went to the kitchen and I could hear her rummaging in the silverware drawer. She had a measuring spoon in her hand. I asked what she's doing and she tells me she needs to spit. I'm aghast!! But, mom - you don't spit in a spoon! She looks down at her hand and puts the spoon back and walks into her room. Every single piece of silverware is in the dishwasher now, lol!

DH will be home the rest of the week so I might actually be able to get some things done. I have to move the bigger quail out to the shed. Gotta, gotta, gotta clean out the brooder. YUCK!

Had some guys come to the door yesterday wanting to buy chickens and I couldn't even go outside and sell them anything. But, I told them I'd give them a call when I have something. A lot of my birds are old and need to be culled so I'd feel bad selling him something that's at the end of it's productive life. Guess I could've offered him the chicks in the brooder, but I'd rather not go through the hatching/brooding process again right now.

Waiting for the hospice nurse again. She's coming back for a 24 hour re-check. Not sure why, but I don't question these things, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Kind of nice they come back that soon, it gives you a chance to ask questions you hadn't thought of. How often will they be coming regularly?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yea, it is nice - that they come back for the re-check. Not so nice that she said she'd come early this morning and hasn't yet - or called....grrrr. An aide will come in three times a week and give mom a bed bath and other various personal care details like clean her nails or brush her hair. Their regular care giver does her hair every day so we probably won't need that service. The nurse said she'd be coming twice a week eventually, but will start with once a week for awhile.