Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh poor thing! Stuck in the mud!

I have one goat who used to get a monthly herbal dewormer at her old farm. She's the wormiest goat I have lol. I keep thinking about trying it... But haven't done it yet. I would love to see some research and actual proof it works... So if you try it, please share!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
LOL - like they need a reason to want to eat! Stoned goats would be unbearable!
The leaves won't make them stoned :) It's the illegal cousins' flowers that is the culprit there. The leaves are harmless and ineffective and apparently a good natural dewormer for animals, because of its high fibre content.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did some reading on it and I wish I could find a bulk source of the leaves. Amazon does sell a hamp chew for dogs that is said to have a calming effect. Who knew?

I'm not convinced the other natural wormers do much either, but I have heard of folks who use them between chemical wormers and they believe it extends the time between the need to use chemicals.

I was pleasantly surprised that some of my does that had really pale membranes a month ago are looking better...that's always a plus especially with the conditions we have right now.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wormwood and tobacco & rape leaves also "help" to redue the favorable conditions within the gut for worms. several herbs do. It really is more about not multiplying or staying than actual "killing". That is why many report the extension of chemical needs. It can help and yes, it is what the wild ones do to help themselves.

Eventually, the goal is to not have the larvae in the pastures -- as we know. The wild herds develop the "resistance" by eating what they need. Comfrey helps & is an immune booster, along with good proteins. Comfrey is also a GREAT multiplier of deep minerals, a ready to use fertilizer and makes good fertilizer tea.

I have the wormwood seed and more comfrey root on order. The chickens not only ate all the comfrey leaves, they dug the root out on the young plants!!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have some comfrey growing in big tubs...I was afraid to plant it in the ground because I've heard it's invasive. But - I might go ahead and transplant some in an area that I don't mind it multiplying in....and if it's that good - why not let it run rampant? I had it covered with hay during our big freeze, but it's looking a little damaged - hope it can recover enough to transplant.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses where are you ordering your comfrey roots from? Are they the Russian Bocking type? I understand that type does not spread seeds everywhere.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Conan is sporting a new look....

image.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule I get mine at a place in NC coescomfrey.com. Organic & non-seeding (Boking4) but, will grow from a tiny root piece. High protein leaf. I'm getting ready to order more now, to replace the chicken destruction! I will plant to start in pots first to control who has access...then make large plantings into a permanent location for future feeding. Europe has used this stuff for years. Of course, I find Europe has used/grown/developed so very many herbals and depend or heirloom & organic far more than USA. Heck, they outlawed many chems that we still have.

FEM -- where did you get your comfrey?

Conan -- ok, good job BUT I know we both hate this process! :hugs He looks tan and I thought he was more white. Either color is lovely!!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Has SBC seen Conan? She would love him!!

How'd he do with the disbudding?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Heck, I don't remember where I got my comfrey - maybe offa Ebay? Might have to get some more because this is looking pretty stressed after the freezes we had.... I'm keeping my fingers crossed right now.

Conan did ok - even though I burned more than I really wanted to since the Kiko's have such a huge horn base. Time will tell if I even did enough. He sucked down a bottle right afterwards so not too much trauma I guess.

I haven't posted him on BYH... guess I'll do that at some point, lol.