Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@NH Homesteader - I like that!!

One of the problems we have found in a lot of alternative diet plans is that vegetarian menus are generally high in carbohydrates. We can't do that! Thankfully DH loves salad. Of course, by the time he adds all his crap to a salad you can barely find the greens, lol. And, he likes a little salad with his dressing...store bought full of crap dressing. But, this will change. In fact, my garden plans just changed too. I will be growing lots more lettuces and greens. (or at least attempting to)

Off to Google to find low carb, low protein menus!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think our best chance at succeeding will be to cut portion size of protein in most meals and to try at least 2-3 days a week to have a vegetarian day. DH loves soup and so I can start by reducing the amount of meat I put in it and increase the veggies.

He saw his cardiologist today and it went pretty well. However, he did mention that if DH had gastric sleeve surgery that it would be a huge positive step for his health. Unfortunately, he would need to gain weight to qualify! :ep WHAT THE HECK? (he's right on the cusp of qualifying) But, folks that have those surgeries lose lot of weight and generally can get off of insulin. That would be the best thing in life! He'd love to throw his insulin pump into the nearest mud hole. He HATES it and it's a massive pain in the rear too.

Soup and salad tonight.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
What's nice about things like soup & stir fry is that you get the TASTE of the meats, with less actual meat. That may very well satisfy him & the veggies will fill him. A little bacon grease makes you think you had the whole slab!

Chickpeas, beans, quinoa, nuts cheese...good proteins, watch the carbs for diabetics. As to salads -- you will have to basically NOT have bottled dressings at the house. Easy to make tasty ones with herbs, olive oil, balsamic (&other) vinegars. Sesame oil adds great taste -- so many things can be done in a few minutes but it's like all "home cooking" when the order in is fast and convenient.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I make a delish salad dressing that I loooooove! It's made from organic olive oil, apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar and honey - to taste. I think it's the best thing that ever hit a salad - but DH would kill for bottled French... argh! You are right - I need to keep the commercial dressings outta da house!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Low carb, low protein = high fat diet. yummmmmm Which happens to be the best diet for diabetes because fat doesn't affect blood sugar!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK... So why did I have to eat low fat high protein on my GD diet? Not that I did, but they wanted me to (I refuse to eat low fat)