Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a good question - unless they were just trying to throw their misguided beliefs that low fat is more heart healthy?

I should add that I'm not a doctor in real life, lol!

We've been looking at a "ketogenic" type diet which advocates high fat, medium protein and low carb... still in the preliminary stages of research.

I'm trying to convince DH to go ahead with the gastric sleeve.... I mean it would be awesome if he would lose the weight on his own - but he hasn't and likely won't if you believe past behavior is a predictor of future behavior. Why spend a year trying to lose that weight and continue to damage his body when he could get it done quickly and start reversing some of the damage???

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well go figure I think they were! I just looked it up and it says nothing about the typical GD diet being low fat. Sheesh! Good thing I skipped that appointment they wanted me to have with their dietician!

Yeah I agree, I hope he can get that done! If it can improve his health quickly, he should go for it!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
OK... So why did I have to eat low fat high protein on my GD diet? Not that I did, but they wanted me to (I refuse to eat low fat)

Because about 65 years ago a bad scientist defied the scientific method, disregarded the data that didn't support his ideas and published and a political zealot picked it up and the food pyramid was drafted, but not published until the food industry got their hands on it, lobbied and got the daily serving size of grains doubled. The American Diabetic Association bought into it... or rather, the pharmaceutical companies fun the ADA and it's in the drug company's best interest for people to continue eating sugar and crap and take more insulin. I'm not a believer in conspiracy theories by the way. This is all very well documented!

Before the scientist/zealout made fat out to be bad, the diet recommended for diabetes was 70% fat. Now that the history of the low fat movement is coming out and the mass morbid obesity from that movement is crippling our population, now the recommendations are retuning back to 70% fat diet for diabetes.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
and high protein is stupid because it will increase insulin. That's why Inuit population didn't go into ketosis - they ate too much protein.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was supposed to work today. One of the fairly local colleges is/was having an open house and I was going to take about 20 of our students to visit. We try to expose them to lots of different colleges besides just our college. But - we're under a flood watch so I didn't think it was a good idea to be responsible for those kiddos under these conditions.

That's my long way of saying that IT'S RAINING! Okay that is literally the understatement of life - it's POURING! UGH!!! I looked out an upstairs window and I do believe that in all my 31 years of living here I've never seen it this wet. It actually looks like it's going to breach my big barn out back...the barn we built after having 20+ dump truck loads of dirt brought in years ago. If that happens I will literally have no dry shelter for the animals. It may already have breached the smaller barn where the bucks are and the shed that has two of my older pygmy does. This is ridiculous!

We have been wet since Hurricane Harvey hit the last week in August. It has literally NEVER dried up since then. I'm about ready to declare this place a protected wetlands and move to an apartment....an upstairs apartment. :(

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my heck, hope it doesn't cause problems for you or endanger your animals.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpg

image.jpg
It's baaaaad- I've got more water in my yard than I had during Hurricane Harvey.

These are taken out of my front door. Driveway is totally underwater except for the parking pad right in front of the house.