Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He would! I betcha he'd love it at first, but I'm not sure how a southern goat would deal with northern winters, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
College closes at noon today so I took this morning off - yay long weekend! AND - even more exciting - it's sunny! I slept til 7am, what a luxury. I've got lots on my "to do" list today - hope I can get it all done. Unlikely since getting my wild yard mowed is on my list, but it's still way too wet to do the whole thing. I can do the area close to the house but the yard slopes down away from the house so I'll be staying away from that. The mower is too big and heavy and tends to sink pretty easily in wet areas.

Need to start re-arranging goats and pens. Bucks have had the run of the small barn and barnyard closest to the house just because their pen was nearly uninhabitable from all the mud. It's beginning to firm up out there so the guys might get kicked out of their posh (as if) surroundings so I can give the mama's and babies that area. Going to have to dust/spray it really well before I put babies there. It is the one area that has lice issues every winter. Ugh! Do not want that.

Absolutely going to put some tomato plants out today. I've got a couple of tubs that I can free up and that's where some of the 'maters are going to live. I'm going to spread them out this year in hopes of hiding some from any stinkin' stink bugs that might have survived the couple of hard freezes we had.

I've got to get Cocoa wormed today. Good idea to do that right after they kid. May or may not have more kids this weekend. The two FF's that I thought would already have kidded - might actually be due this weekend. I re-checked the calendar and re-counted the days and 145 days from a buck escape should be Saturday. So much for thinking I had them bred to a specific buck. Now I have to worry that these little gals might be bred to the Nubian buck - ARGH!

Need to get busy. Happy Friday ya'll!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's been a morning - argh!

Got started moving some goats around, but sometime things don't go as planned, lol. I opened the gate to the buck's previous pen and went to walk through hoping they'd follow me when I got hit in the head with a hammer! Knocked me back a little, shook me up and it took me a minute to figure out that it wasn't really a hammer - I had walked right into the electric fence, lol!! This was the first time I'd walked through this particular gate since we put the fence up. I am always so careful when I go through the OTHER gate... totally forgot about this one and was not looking forward, was looking back over my shoulder to see if the bucks were following me. They weren't! Can't say as I blame them.

Seriously though, I thought it would feel totally different. And, honestly, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be - but I don't really want to give it a second chance either.

Got a large portion of the yard mowed but it's still to wet to get to some areas. It is nice though to be able to walk through those areas without grass/weeds being knee deep. And, the places that got mowed should be able to dry out a bit easier. It's a beautiful day - mostly sunny and 72 degrees! Practically perfect in every way!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Almost forgot-Conan is visiting the big boys today!

image.jpg

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got a new healthy respect for that fence, Sumi! I went through that gate again today and I promise you I ducked!

Going to get all the hoses cleaned up for the milking machine. Don't know why I left 'em out in the barn. Of course, I was still milking just a couple months ago so they haven't been out long. However, they're soaking in the sink with lots of hot soapy water and bleach right now.

I milked Cocoa a little bit yesterday and I've gotta say that she did NOT appreciate it one bit. She's perfect on the milk stand, but she was not having any of me milking her on the ground in her pen. Nope - she was like a crazy goat... Cant have that!

I got some tomatoes planted in tubs yesterday and my plan is to get some more tucked in today. Hoping we've seen the end of winter and that spring is getting a strong foothold. :fl