Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow on the pictures - just wow... Floods alone are bad enough - but when they're COLD too - that's so much worse!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
The weather is mad this winter… You guys, then us, now both of us lol

Glad your parents are doing o.k. On the goats, I'm learning and listening about goat keeping here, so can't add much except I'd vote for a "useless" little cute guy staying around just to make you smile :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd have a hard time letting go of Chester... he's so darn cute! Then I got to thinking - why wether him? He's so little he can't reach anything anyway, lol. I could let him run the pasture and he would let me know whenever a doe is in heat. And, even if he was able to reach somebody every now and then - what's the harm! It would do his ego good, lol.

Got lots to do today - and I slept late so I was running behind before I even woke up. That's what I get for staying up until 2am watching a movie. I want to get more plants in the ground, disbud Smudge, worm a couple of goats and accomplish a couple of boring inside chores. Need to get feed from the trailer over to the storage can in the little barn so I don't have to do that back and forth walk twice a day. Haven't carried any feed over there lately because walking through ankle deep mud (or worse) with a 50 lb bag on your shoulder isn't the brightest move ever, lol. Hope to get that done before it rains today.... ugh.

Had a little house drama last night. Did some laundry last night and wondered why the water going into the washing machine was making a hissing noise that I hadn't heard before. Wondered why the hissing noise kept going after the clothes were finished. Gee whiz....go in the laundry room to see what's up and my feet are instantly wet. GRRRRRR! Hose going to the hot water heater had popped a leak, was spraying out everywhere and oh my what a mess. It's the hose that comes out of the top of the water heater so everything was wet - not just the floor. The clothes that were folded on top of the dryer - wet. The shelves above the washing machine where spare detergent, table cloths, cloth napkins (for holidays), seasonal clothes... all wet. ARGH! DH is in town this morning getting a replacement hose. I was so glad that I had showered before going to see mom and dad yesterday afternoon cuz there was NO hot water overnight....still no hot water until (and IF) DH can replace the hose. Remember - he's not all that handy, lol. But, this should be a simple fix.

Need to boil some eggs today so I'm going to figure out how to do them in the instant pot. Hopefully I don't blow 'em up! Stay tuned!

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Oh my goodness on the water, that sucks! Hope DH can get it fixed for you quickly and everything will dry out o.k.

You mentioned carrying feed on your shoulder, how is your shoulder now?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ughhhh just what you need!

Aw chester, he might need an ego boost lol !

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Chester is just too cool...so he might get a reprieve for awhile at least. Ya'll are such enablers, lol!
Right now he's bearing the brunt of Conan chasing him around.

It seems that Conan has figured out that he's a boy! Oh, and I saw him actually chew cud last night. Finally! Weighed him this morning and he's 25 lbs. He got his first dose of Toltrazuril for coccidia prevention. I start it on most babies at 3 weeks, but waited awhile on him because he was living in a no coccidia zone...but now that he goes out to play with the boys every day it needed to be done. He's quite the helpful fella too! Always in the middle of whatever I'm doing.

Got Cocoa wormed and put her on the milk stand again. I got a quart, mostly out of the side that Smudge isn't nursing on. And, that wasn't all of it! I'm going to start milking her twice a day just to keep her going in both faucets. It'll be worth it because she's probably going to be the main milk supplier for awhile until I know if I have any more of the bigger does bred.

Six more tomato plants in the ground - yay!

Eggs in and out of the instant pot - perfectly cooked! I love this thing! I got my daughter the 8 quart for our upcoming Spring break Christmas.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
image.jpg
Forgot to add this - Conan trying to be helpful pic! Thank goodness he doesn't have the key, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol!! Conan is awesome!! That's the best picture.

What're you doing with your milk? Feeding it to Conan? You know, you can make soap with it too, I know you want to learn how. Just sayin'... It's a good thing to do when you give meds!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Isn't he just the cutest lil' thing!?! Personality plus, lol.

@sumi Shoulder is soooo much better! Most of the time there's no pain - unless I just move it wrong. It hasn't had the 50lb feed bag test because I carry feed on my left shoulder - and it's my right one that's grouchy. But, I've been doing so much and using it for so many other things its holding up decently. It's a little touchy right now but I'm sure it's because I've used it all day long. I did some trimming on my fig tree (shoulda probably done it a month ago...) And, because I can't stand to discard anything that has a half a chance at life - I put the cuttings in the dirt and I'm hoping that they'll take hold. I trimmed because some of the fig limbs were on the ground and it's really hard to mow under the tree. But because they were on the ground some were already spouting little roots. Maybe, hopefully I'll get some new fig trees out this endeavor.

Had to kick Conan offa the mower so I could finish mowing in some spots that I didn't get yesterday. Amazing what some sunshine and wind will do to dry things up. We haven't gotten any rain yet...but that may happen overnight. And Monday...And Tuesday. Hope it misses us! I've been outside for two days now without boots! Still have to avoid some muddy spots, but I can get around in my slip on shoes.

@NH Homesteader - so far I'm mixing the milk into Conan's bottles. So funny cuz I started himm on goat milk I had in the freezer - then transitioned him to cow milk - and now I'm transitioning him back to at least some goat milk in the mix. Yes on learning to make soap! But, I'm thinking that's something I might hold off on until I finally retire. I will need something else to keep me busy then, lol!

DH has been going all day too. We've got hot water again! Whoop, whoop! Then he changed out the shower head in his shower (yes, we have separate bathrooms, lol) When all my kiddos flew the coop I moved DH into his own bathroom. That way I don't have to deal with man hair in mine!! I love it!

He was gonna change out my bathroom sink faucet cuz it's leaking....the cold water won't shut off all the way so I shut it off at the valve. Last night when we didn't have hot water - I didn't have ANY water in my bathroom sink so I told him I was tired of 'making do' and I wanted a new faucet. (Told him to get a cheap one cuz the eventual plan is to gut my bathroom and start over with a walk in shower for our old age.) But, the old faucet has been there so long he needed a special 'faucet wrench' to get it loose? Or something like that - I'm sure it's just an excuse to get a new tool, lol. I know that trick! So that means I have a new faucet for my bathroom - but it's just still in the package and not on my sink. Ugh. Now he's working on the air compressor...one of the fittings isn't fitting anymore and the air hose won't attach.

Those two FF's are still hanging on. I guess it'll just be a day to day thing cuz I can't find where I wrote anything down for any alternative due dates. Cocoa Puff has a pretty tight udder...swollen girly parts...but ever present ligs. Shadow...decent udder, a little swelling and ligs. UGH!

Need to go season up a pork shoulder - I'm gonna put it in the oven when we go to bed and let it cook low and slow all night...or maybe I'll put it in the crock pot...or maybe the instant pot on the slow cook setting. Decisions, decisions.

Yuck on going to work tomorrow. Now that there's just two of us there I won't have quite the freedom to take time off whenever I need it. Hope we get a new boss soon. Now we're reporting to our former boss's boss. And, there are rumors of "micro-managing"... Can't say that I'm looking forward to that!