Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been giving this some thought. Kinda don't want a whole lot of big ol' chickens anymore....but I can't imagine not having any chickens. I love my naked neck hen. I love Silkies. One of the reason I love Silkies is because they don't fly much. I want to have chickens that won't fly OUT of their enclosure or INTO my garden. Soooo why wouldn't I love Showgirls? A showgirl is a silky x naked neck cross. Oh my goodness they are so unique and cool looking!

upload_2018-3-4_19-49-39.jpeg
Photo credit to google images.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
LOL - it is! I love them! I have a naked neck hen. I want silkies. So, I want to combine them!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's amazing lol!! I bet there's a market for them... They're so weird, people would love them!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HHHMMMM......that's a weird chicken! can't say I'd want any. Why don't you just get silkies? Will they keep laying & not just go broody all the time? You know, they do not do mud.

Believe I'd just get 4-6 wide bodied gals and let it go at that. But that's just ME. :rolleyes: Once I go "cute" with them, then they are "pets". Right now, mine are laying well enough that I am swimming in eggs!! My customers need to pick up the pace. Some days I question my keeping hens to sell eggs. No chickens comes to mind but, I do so love to watch them.

DH does prob need the other type wrench. Old plumbing has some strange ways. Hey, at least you have HOT water :cool:. And what farm doesn't need an air compressor every other minute? It's one of my best tools.

I was off all weekend and so, so windy you couldn't work outside. Didn't know so many things could go where they did. Wow. Need to be home to pick up tomorrow but have one of those days I have to be on a job. Work gets in the way. We can both go to work and fuss about it...:lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Silkies do have a bit of a brooding addiction, lol. If you want consistent eggs, I would get a second, less broody breed. Silkies are so sweet. Although we had one vicious silkie roo, vicious with the other birds anyway. He kept picking fights with our Dominique roo... We had to save his life every few days lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HHHMMMM......that's a weird chicken!

That's why I love them, lol!

I'm getting tons of eggs right now...both chicken and quail eggs! I'm about to load the incubator and go for another hatch of quail. Quail are just so easy. I love my chickens and will never be without - but for me - quail are a good choice. I'd rather butcher 10 quail over 1 chicken any day.

I got on ebay last night and ordered some show girl hatching eggs...that's always a gamble but I'm gonna try it anyway since I'll have the incubator running for the quail. We'll see how/if that works out.

YES on broody silkies - I might even put some quail eggs under 'em and see what happens, lol!

Conan stayed out with the bucks last night for the first time....and for the first time he didn't finish his bottle this morning. Of course that's got me worried. Hopefully it's just because I didn't warm it very much... Guess I'll be going home at lunch to check on him.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw hope Conan is alright! Are the bucks nice to him? I am keeping a wether to be friends with cliff and I haven't figured out how long I should wait to introduce them...

Yay for the hatching eggs, and for quail! Sounds like spring!! And I have to see those chickens when/if they hatch. Is it a true breed or an F1 cross where you don't know what you're going to get?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The bucks are very nice to Conan - I was pleasantly surprised! He only left a couple teaspoons in the bottom of the bottle, so it's not like he really didn't eat...just not with his usual gusto. But, like I said, it wasn't as warm as he wants it so he might just be acting like a brat, lol. He didn't seem 'off' at all other than that.

Is it a true breed or an F1 cross where you don't know what you're going to get?
Not 100 % sure. I ordered Turken eggs a couple years ago - I didn't get 100 % naked necks out of that hatch. Maybe just a lazy breeder - or they don't always hatch true. So, my answer is I dunno, lol! So, if the Turkens don't breed true - the showgirls may not either. I really need to do some more research. It's quite like me to jump in before having all the details, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think the showgirls are so cool looking. I wonder if they have black skin, meat and bones like the silkies?