Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Keep your rain down there! We got outside yesterday, ready to work....thunder, lightening and RAIN! Fortunately is blew on through and we went outside and got to work. But the weather man has promised us SUNSHINE and we don't want your rain!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Conan is looking REALLY good. When I bottled the last one, it went like him -- some days they have had enough hay to slow milk. Let's face it, on mom they can get a slurp "whenever". When on a bottle, it's when we decide. Toward the end I would slowly cool to room temp provisions. It helped them to decide to stop nursing. :rolleyes:

Yeah, we have some rain blowing in late today. Our temps were way above our 50-55 norm for past couple weeks & 70-75 days were wonderful. Heavy winds but -- this week we are down into 45-50 temps. :( Not as bad as those up North who are still dealing with snow! It is MARCH -- warmer will come along sooner than later :old. Kids due end of month. And I now have broody #2. Gotta set eggs.

Gotta go to work now.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@baymule - thankfully our rain only lasted about an hour and it's moving SOUTH. It's out over Galveston Bay now. It's beautiful and cooler now. Morning temp was 51.

@Mini Horses - Conan is a pure hot mess, lol. Four - six more weeks of bottling and hoping he gets better at eating feed. I guess I'll have to cut down on the milk for him to get interested in solid foods. But, he is a good browser and hay eater so I'm not too worried about it. Two broodies is great!

I'm not interested in many more chickens (except silkies/showgirls) so I'm going to strongly discourage any broody behavior. However, I'm terrible at discouraging life - so if they try really hard to be broody I might have to ignore them and let nature take its course.

Spring Break next week! I'm working hard to get all the gifts ordered for our Spring Break Christmas. My son and daughter in law are so stinking hard to buy for. But, my son is a lover of hot stuff so I'm putting together a basket of the hottest hot sauces I can find. Also found some Habanero salt and some Ghost Pepper flavored peanuts. Might have to include some antacids in that basket, lol.

We still haven't finalized any of the plans. But, I WILL have grandkid time!

Ok, back to Christmas shopping!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slow day at work... geeze!

So, I got my Christmas in March shopping finished (on my break of course)! I'm excited, I think I got everybody something they'll really enjoy! Now I have to figure out something to feed them. I'm NOT doing traditional Christmas dinner by any means. Hmmmmm, I wonder if crawfish are available yet? That sounds delish! (except for my DS and DDiL) I don't think they'll eat 'em, but they'll sure eat some sausage and potatoes and corn on the cob that we'll throw in there. I need to check into that! I'm making myself hungry just thinking about it....:drool

Maybe I'll even get my back porch cleaned up and put some new cushions on the furniture. A new look will be fun!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Conan is such a goofus, lol. I've been worried about him learning to eat feed. I have a coffee can with pellets in it on the back porch table. Every now and then I grab a handful and put it under his nose - which he promptly ignores. Soooo, yesterday I was out feeding the big goats and left Conan in the back yard. I start heading back to the house and lo and behold I see that silly little goat has jumped up on the back porch table and has his head buried in the coffee can that has his pellets in there. YaY! Now, mostly he's just making a mess out of it, but he's chewing while he's making that mess. I'm ok with that. I guess he will grow up ok after all.

Quail have been laying like crazy! I'm about to put the 48 eggs I've collected over the last 5 or 6 days, along with today's haul, into the incubator this evening. Yay for more baby quail! (not that I'm counting my eggs before they hatch or nuttin).

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have often thought about getting quail. Love those little eggs

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Pickled eggs are yum, period! I'm so tempted to get quail myself...

Latest posts