Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think, if a lot of us are going to do it, we should make a collective thread and document our meat bird journeys! Like we have time for that...

Good and I hope so!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eggs came in today! She included 2 extras that look to be bantam Americana eggs, I made that brilliant deduction cuz them eggs is little and green!

Finally got some baby pics. The little black goats in the foreground are two days older than the brown guy behind them, that gives a bit of an idea of the size of that little monster! He has finally come around. His leg is good and he's filling out nicely!

image.jpg

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So -- why haven't we seen Cowboy or reviews lately? You DID briefly mention him when kids were born. Geesh.... ?? Make it happen, like you told me. :p Guess he has to escape to get any press.

Kids are cute!! Aren't they all? That's where we get into trouble and goat math soars. LOL My first are due 3/30...may get a few days before, who knows. This mother/daughter pair has always given me trips, always within 24 hrs of each other, will see how it goes. One looks trips, other more twins. Out of 5 sets of trips, 14 have been bucks, 1 doe. I call them my "pay for your feed" pair...as I sell the bucklings. :lol: They are registered mini nubs, as is dad. 4th & 5th gen and always good moms. Keepers.

Glad you got the eggs & hope every single one hatches for you! Right after you posted about them, there was a CL listing for some about an hr from me. Odd. They aren't well known to me, you mention, then there they are.

We have had damning weather here -- 4th Nor'easter in a month went thru and drizzly rains for few days, then cold enough to get snow flurries yesterday. No accumulation. Welcome, SPRING!? My gardening plans are on hold until weather can warm enough to plant -- and the soil dries up. You are sure used to the dry up portion, right?? :D

With too much time on my hands late nights, I found a GREAT cream separator on CL that I am trying to buy. She's in MD, I'm in VA. No 3 hr each way drives...but, working on shipping plans. Hope it goes smoothly. Been wanting one.:rolleyes:

First broody due to hatch 3/27. Unlike goat code, hens are very dependable! LOL 7 eggs. Will get :idunno She's hunkered down tight!! I'm going to band her as she set last year & good mom...she can stay forever. Love my broodies. Should have more soon -- if weather would clear up. Everyone laying and egg sales are buying their food. Nice when that works. :cool:

Back to work -- I need to fully retire!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Conan is good! He's eating feed really well now. I've never seen him take a drink of water - but his water bucket needs refilling every day so I guess he is. I'm going to try and get a weight on him soon - before he gets too big for me to pick up.

I really do need to get some good pictures of Cowboy. He's so cool! He has really filled out over the winter. These big ol' dogs don't eat much in the heat of summer.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes we miss Cowboy! Glad Conan is doing well! The big bucks nice to him? Or does he live separate for the most part still?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's not with the big bucks now because I moved them out to their designated buck pen and that's too far for me to go give him a bottle, lol. I was giving him the run of the back yard but he decided the patio furniture was allllll for him. I don't mind him getting on the chairs so much, but when he started jumping on the glass-topped patio table - that was just too much! And, when he pooped up there - he got put back in jail again.

I probably won't move him permanently until he's weaned....or when he doesn't fit through the doggy door to his personal barn/bldg. anymore. (or install a larger doggy/goatie door, lol)