Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I admire yours and others dedication to milking. Especially before and after work, I'm retired and don't have the push to get a milk goat/cow!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Milking twice a day is hard. Once a day is so much easier... And so much less milk lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I gotta admit that when the alarm went off this morning - I wasn't feeling it at all! But, once I'm up and moving it isn't so bad. Plus - I'm ready for some MILK! I'll probably keep milking Cameo twice a day at least until she passes peak production. That tends to help keep their production up in future lactations too. Then I may put her and Cocoa on once a day milking because with the both of them there'll be plenty of milk. I'll start separating Cocoa and her baby for part of the day pretty soon too. That'll mean more milk for me!!! And cheese. I'm needing some Rosemary and Garlic chevre.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Stop it, you're making me jealous :p I miss having access to proper milk, instead of the watered down offerings from the shop.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK, FEM -- So you & Bay are getting CCs....I'm reading the meat bird thread and FEELING like I need to do this. I'm going to work soon and thinking ----- do you have TIME for this? do you NEED this? SELF -- you have goat kids coming, milking will start, do you really, really want to do this? You enablers need to know what a bad influence you are. :lol: I haven't even tilled, I have stuff blown all over the farm from last 3 nor'easters & another on the doorstep! (kinda like you dealing with mud -- ugh annoying)

First does due to kid 3/30. Both have always had trips. Also, since they do, I rarely milk them on any regular basis -- just now & then if I need it. The Saanens aren't due until mid & and third wk of April. So milking won't kick in for a while now. Good thing because this is a crazy work time for resets in the stores. Work a lot of days in a row between 2 PT jobs for next 2 months, then it slows back down. Seasonal things.

Guess that gardening is put off for a couple weeks, anyway. Esp since this last storm is threatening a possible couple inches of SNOW :ep Crazy, crazy...happy Spring. Yep, tomorrow is officially Spring! :\

KUDOS on getting tilled & planted! Soon I will get weather to allow that here. This is latest I've seen winter hold on here.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - I don't really have time for all of it either, lol. As you well know - ya just make it happen!

I did plant more yesterday. I put in two rows of bush beans. Two rows in this little garden isn't all that much, but I find that bush beans are very reliable. I fully intend (one of those things that I'm going to have to "make happen") to put in a couple looooong rows of Rattlesnake Beans in another area. I'll need to till that area and build a trellis for those so it might be a while before I get to it. I really wanted to get that all done this weekend but I have to work Saturday and I think we're due some wet stuff from the sky...ugh. But, still hope to get it done as soon as I can.

Milked Cocoa and Cameo this morning. Cocoa is so insistent that she be milked! More likely - she's just insistent that she be given her turn on the milk stand for the extra grub, lol.

I need to go ahead and get my meaties ordered so they can get here, get grown, get butchered and get in my freezer (hopefully) before it gets too dang hot.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Meat bird party - love it! I just got a message from her that she was ill last week and has just mailed a fresh batch of eggs. Hope she felt bad about leaving me hanging and put extras in, lol!