Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just KNOW :hide we will have pics of these little peeps soon.

Many years ago I was horseback riding thru some woods and came upon a quail and very new chicks. They were SO, so tiny and cute. Really almost hidden between size and camo color.

Hope a lot hatch for you. Hey, how are those showgirl eggs working? When will they be hatching?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'll get pics....eventually! Don't want to open the 'bator just yet. I just set the showgirl eggs yesterday, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too high. Shipped eggs are notorious for being scrambled in transit. And, one of 'em was cracked. :( But, I wouldn't have ordered 'em if I didn't have a little optimism!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I rarely ever had a customer complaint about my shipped eggs unless I got in a hurry/lazy packaging. There's really not much excuse for it in general. I miss my quail too. I raised coturnix, my strain were the sweetest birds, very social and non flighty...which is so odd for quail!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You shipped me some eggs a few years back and they were great - as I recall I had a good hatch. But every time I've ordered silkie eggs I've had bad luck. These eggs came from a heckuva long way away. If I had noticed that when I ordered them I probably wouldn't have. I'll probably try to candle them when I open the incubator to pull the quail out later today. Sometimes I can see a tiny speck of life at 3 days....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank ya, ma'am!

I've got so much to do I don't even want to look at my list. We have a long weekend ahead of us so maybe I can get a couple things crossed off.

I've got, got, got to disbud babies this weekend if not earlier. And, we're supposed to get some of that nasty wet stuff starting tonight or tomorrow morning early. Maybe I can find time to do 'em today...on second thought I've got a truck full of feed to unload...

I'm going to try to sell some stinking goats! Lil Red, Cocoa's ff daughter is probably the first on the list. I think I can sell her with her buckling as soon as I get him disbudded. She was the sweetest little doe until she kidded and she turned crazy. I think it has a lot to do with me pulling her baby. It hurt and she doesn't trust me anymore. I can catch her and even milk her but she's wild-eyed and spastic! Silly goat.

Took a long lunch and went to see the oldsters. Mom didn't recognize me at first - but dad did - as always. He just keeps toodling along....says the same thing and tells the same stories every time I'm there. :)

But for the first time today mom asked me not to leave. I told her I wished I could stay longer but I had to go back to work. She said she was afraid to stay there alone. I told her she wasn't alone that B was right beside her. She asked who B is. B is your husband, mom.... sigh. But, she looks so much better! Except for forgetting who B is, she's talking and even making a little sense . Hope it continues! My mother was a control freak all her life - would like to see a little of that come back.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw bummer you have a spazzy goat, but it is a good excuse to downsize!

Sad your mom didn't recognize you, but it sounds like she's doing better overall.

How're those eggs?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The human brain is so complex...I wish aging were easier...on the elder and the youngers. Maybe one day science will figure out how to slow the progression of brain deterioration. Bless you sister, and your parents!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Gosh, it's so hard to see and hear what they present with these dementia issues. After living with it for a few years -- with a mom who had ALWAYS had superb recall -- well, let's say that I question myself and see things that convince me I must really work to keep on track. Scary. I do research a lot of things to try to keep from going there. I think of you often :hugs

So, sell a goat. Couple less to feed. We all need that. Is she doing ok with the kids? That's important to help you out.

I have 2 due 3/30, day 150. One had just a touch of discharge this evening....JUST a touch, the off-white ish start. So, won't be long. Hope she waits until tomorrow, good weather, warmer and I am off work!:rolleyes: NO I did NOT tell her that....doe code would kick in for sure! Her daughter looks like she may hold out until Friday, I hope. Another day I can be home if needed. Otherwise, work. I'll go out and check on them in a couple hrs, behinds anyway. o_O

Hope you get something you wanted to do completed over your long weekend. Never any rest, right?:idunno