Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got up early and went to see the old people. Took mom a couple goodies and fed her breakfast. Dad was talking about going hunting this year - he's gonna get three deer cuz that's what they allow...two bucks and a doe and he's going to share them with me...
Woo Hoo I better clean out the freezer, lol! I don't often see him real confused, but he was this morning. He gets better as the day goes by, but mornings are rough for him. Mom was just mom...

Made breakfast when I got back. Home raised bacon and eggs along with a couple fried green tomatoes. YUM! I accidentally knocked a couple green tomatoes off the plants yesterday when I was dragging around the water hose...(which I left running all night last night). But, the garden is well watered - at least half of it is!

My lima bean seeds came in yesterday so I'll be tucking them into some dirt today. Then I need to get on to the rest of the mulching before the weeds get out of control on that side of the garden.

Wormed a couple of goats the other day that hadn't slicked off like the rest of the herd. Sure enough when I caught them their eyelids were pretty pale. The rest of the bunch look great! We've had a fairly dry spring and it's amazing how good the goats do when they aren't up to their knees in mud!

Supposed to get pretty warm this afternoon....heat index near 100 they say. Better get changed and get out there.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY YA'LL!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whoa heat! Sounds like a good day aside from the temps! Glad you'll have a freezer full of venison lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Glad you'll have a freezer full of venison lol!
Right - and I love me some venison!!

It is hot out there today! My son called and asked me what I wanted for Mother's Day and I told him I wanted my tractor tires fixed. One of the front ones has a flat nd the other one has a slow leak. Now - they were perfectly fine (new last year) until he borrowed it a month or so bck and ran through some construction debris...nail-y, screw-y construction debris. He plugged one before he brought it home last time but it obviously didn't hold. Nor did he tell me that he'd damaged the tire(s). Some things never change, lol!

I got a big ol batch of old hay drug into the garden so I can mulch with it. Just don't really wanna do it right now. I'm gonna wait until it cools off a little later this afternoon.

Those little bucklings are driving me up the wall lol. I don't know why they're so stinking friendly - but friendly equals obnoxious in their world. I can't even walk without them jumping up on me - if I want to sit in a chair and enjoy the outdoors - they are up in my lap, trying to stand on my shoulders or head....it's not fun anymore - they're too big! Hmmm, baby barbeque goat is sounding pretty good right now!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm tired...haven't even done THAT much. But it's hot and I'm not acclimated...yet. Finally got the orange tree planted....watered and watered and watered today. but - I'm absolutely NOT going to complain that we're short of rainfall. I'll water every stinkin' day, lol.

We had some of the yellow squash with dinner tonight. I cooked some bacon, sautéed some onions and a little garlic in the bacon fat, sliced up the squash and sautéed that until tender. Then I added a bit of cream cheese to the whole batch and melted it altogether - YUM!

I added some more trellis to the Rattlesnake bean area and noticed that they're about to start blooming. YaY! Was fully intending to plant my Limas - but dang it - I hid the pkg of seeds from myself, ugh.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
intending to plant my Limas - but dang it - I hid the pkg of seeds from myself, ugh.

:lol: I've been known to put things in a "safe place" too! Just found some things I'd gotten last yr -- ok, will do that work this yr. No biggie :idunno Hey, you are harvesting. I haven't even planted. :hide At least we have a long grow season.

Since I was rudely awakened at 4 AM....I was out working on a fence section replacement at 6 -- full of coffee and ready! Only 20' & 1 post to replace rotted wooden one. Pounded in a T , laid out the wire, stretched & pounded brads into wooden, wire hooks on T. The dozen little mares at loving all the fresh grass and vetch. Fed, showered and went to work. 88 here today so not a problem being at work in the AC.

Water tubs all topped out, feed measured & in buckets for quick chores in AM. Have an early job.....will be rushing in AM. All prepped, it's ok. BUSY week coming up again, then a slight slow down. Thankfully! Soon as this tractor is paid, I'm home, home, home.....more days than not. :cool:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We weeded a patch in the garden yesterday. The weeds were over knee high, Giant Ragweed and Lambs Quarters. We piled the back of the mule high. Today we cleaned out the sheep lot and spread sheep poop all over that spot. Next will be cardboard and mulch, then plant something!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I was rudely awakened at 4 AM....I was out working on a fence section replacement at 6 --
You didn't 'splain this...????

Next will be cardboard and mulch, then plant something!
Cool! Ya'll hot yet? We got HOT yesterday and it seems it has settled in...yay summer...:rolleyes:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes it is hot. Hitting the low 90's. We came in at 1:30 today, filthy, sweaty and drained by heat. I am way behind on my garden this year, I'm going to plant anyway and hope I get something before the plants cook.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
the weeds are bad for us too. Bermuda has made its way through cardboard and 12 inches of wood chips and everywhere we pulled woodchips back to plant is covered in lambs quarter and rag weed. The grass is the worst tho. Makes me want to buy some round up.

Latest posts