Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Hang in there @Chic Rustler ! I can completely understand about how tempting pesticides are. Weed pressure improves over the years. I have an impressive crop of quack grass. Starting to reach a turning point. DH tilled and I've been digging out the quack grass every 3 days. It's definitely better than previous years - large areas unaffected by quack grass. And each time I dig quack grass out of a section, there is less to remove.

Lambs quarters though.... I have those by the millions. I haven't bothered with them much and they've been happily reseeding. I've been hoeing out the seedlings this year. Having faith it will become less of a problem each year.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would LOVE the ragweed and lambs quarters to grow in the pastures. The sheep LOVE them. But NOOOOOOOOOO----they only want to grow in the GARDEN! :he

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So far the areas that I mulched with feed bags and hay are keeping most of the weeds away. The OTHER half of the garden is not mulched yet....and the weeds are tenacious and are winning. I've gotta take some time to get out there and finish. Last weekend was too short...had to work Saturday and spent time with the old folks on Sunday. In fact I've been working so much that I've earned a couple days of comp time. I think I'll combine 'em with Memorial day holiday and get several days in a row to actually get in some good garden time.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bermuda has made its way through cardboard and 12 inches of wood chips

Which is WHY it can be a great lawn or pasture grass!! Talk about takeover -- it WILL!!

In fact I've been working so much that I've earned a couple days of comp time. I think I'll combine 'em with Memorial day holiday and get several days in a row to actually get in some good garden time.

Awhhh yes---the REAL problem here is that we work so much that when we DO get a couple days off we have to rest & rejuvenate. Then we still get nothing much done. Some days I feel hopeless :( not to mention guilty. But I TRY to accept that not everything can be done in a few hrs and just move at whatever speed happens that day. :D Some things do not get done. I'm learning to accept that. Feeding & watering are FIRST.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some things do not get done. I'm learning to accept that. Feeding & watering are FIRST.
And that is exactly why my house is a mess! Bu this goat/garden stuff needs to be done...when it gets hotter I'll hibernate inside and get it cleaned up!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Some things do not get done. I'm learning to accept that. Feeding & watering are FIRST.
And that is exactly why my house is a mess! Bu this goat/garden stuff needs to be done...when it gets hotter I'll hibernate inside and get it cleaned up!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got the Lima Beans planted! Stoopid things better do well... I've never had good luck with them, but this is a different year, different place to plant, and different weather. So...:fl

Picked a couple big ol' jalapenos... at least a half-dozen tomatoes and some lettuce. Even got a little more mulching done.

Decided I'll try to sell some of the goats over Memorial Day weekend. I'll have a few extra days at home so it sounds like a good time. Just gotta figure out how many to list. I hate selling goats. Gotta deal with people...ugh!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, well, well- what a great way to start my day. I was up early as usual. Stepped out on the back porch to slip into my barn shoes and go feed/milk. Could NOT get that shoe off fast enough after the shocking pain felt on my toe. (Insert very loud cursing here!) Threw the shoe off and dumped out a HUGE spider...about the size of a silver dollar. He got me on my second toe right next to the nail....couldn't have picked a more tender spot, huh? I got my revenge - I squashed the HE** outta him. Then I went straight to the computer to look up brown recluse spider. Of course, I mangled him pretty badly so it was hard to tell his species. I hope it's a Wolf spider and not a Recluse - time will tell I guess. He bit me hard - it even bled - which I encouraged to hopefully excrete any venom that might have been injected. It's still throbbing and red, but doesn't seem to be getting any worse. That's a bonus, right?