Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM, please go to a doctor and have that checked out and if possible, try and identify what it was that got you. Spider bites worry me a little. Had a bad experience with one in my teens and more recently one my uncles nearly lost his foot after a spider bite. Hope yours won't be a "bad" one, it sounds bloody awful enough already! :hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's gotten lots better since this morning...can barely see any spot at all. After doing more research I really do think it was a Wolf spider. Their bites are considered "venomous" but not "poisonous." Their venom usually paralyzes their prey and the toe did tingle and get a little numb. Might be an issue if I was a fly or something, lol. But, being a big ol' human I think it's not going to bother me any more. The redness has gone away and now I can barely even see the spot. BUT @sumi I will watch it very closely. It's something that I won't mess around with if it starts to show any worse symptoms.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That's good to hear, but yes, please do keep an eye on it. My bite took a few days to get going and holy cow, did it get going? I hope yours will be o.k. and I'm not worrying you! :hugs

And listen, next time, before you put your shoes on, turn them over and give them a good thump ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And listen, next time, before you put your shoes on, turn them over and give them a good thump ;)
Count on it! Generally I take my shoes off right inside the breezeway door - but because I had been watering the garden they were a bit muddy and I left them outside on the porch. That won't happen again!

I have a three day weekend! The college is closed on Fridays from now until August....well most of the college is. Guess what the ONE department in the whole school is that will work at least 6 Fridays while everyone else is off? Yep - MY department....sigh New guidelines for our program REQUIRE a five day a week summer program. YAY? NOT...

We're going to try and switch off Fridays so that each one of us don't have to work all of them....but being shorthanded might not allow that. We have hired a couple of former students to help out during the summer, but they won't be able to handle any of the days alone... someone from the staff will have to be there. Oh well.....I'll earn 1.5 hours of comp time for each hour worked on a Friday so it won't be so bad. I can use that time in the fall when the weather is easier to deal with.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From what I have read, a Recluse is a smaller spider than you described. Hmm...still not pleasant! Oh, put a couple drops of peppermint oil in the shoe. They don't like the smell, nor do mice. Little late for that now but always a next time.:lol:

Hope it isn't anything lingering. What a way to start the day.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yea, I'm pretty sure now that it wasn't a Recluse...thank goodness! Don't have peppermint oil - so will a peppermint candy do? Might make the shoe a little sticky - but it would smell better, lol!

Oh, oh, oh! I'm so excited and a little embarrassed that I didn't know this before today. The last time I hatched quail I stuck a few chicken eggs in the 'bator too. I had snatched some out from under the Nekkid Neck chicken and lo' and behold - one of them that hatched is a Nekkid Neck! Woo Hoo! I moved them out of the brooder today to an outside pen and this is the first time I noticed that one of 'em was a nekkie! I'll say it's cuz DH was feeding 'em and I hadn't seen 'em since they were hatched. And, BONUS - it's a Lavender Nekkid Neck!

Got lots to do on my three days off. First I gotta do something with all those stoopid pis I have. I'm gonna try to get 'em penned up. And,why? Cuz them lady pigs are about to be mama pigs again. :th I gotta start some planned parenthood for those guys. I think I'll try to sell at least one mama with babies and see if that doesn't really help reduce their number. AND, I gotta have 'em penned up so I can castrate the little boogers. Geeze, I gotta do a herd reduction around here for all my herds....goat herds, pig herds, chicken herds.... I want to retire someday and I can't be working just to feed these critters!

In other news - garden is flourishing! (mostly anyway) Picking lots of goodies, but still planting some things so I hope the heat doesn't prevent them from doing well. It's crazy how dry it is! Can't believe we're this dry and we need rain....need rain...can't believe it!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OK --- Piggies101. Selling mom & babies is not the answer. Selling the boars is how you stop having baby pigs! :th:hide

Does that help? :p

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That sucks about the Fridays, but the comp time sounds nice!

Have you got any mint in your garden? Put some of that in your shoes. That should work too and it's not sticky.

Congrats on the chick :love And the coming piglets.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You ought to eat some of those pigs too... I mean that's why they're there right? Lol

Get rid of extra boars and a mama and piglets, yes good plan. Sell the evil Nigerian. I hate selling animals, but try to keep to a sustainable number. Even though it's not very fun! You've got to retire and you're right, can't be working just to feed the extras! Fight the goat math! Lol!