Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good plan! My feed is in my house and it's so not working for me, lol. But at least my goats can't get to it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whew...the major part of that chore is done. Only need to move the buckets and I'm finished. I had left some feed in the back of the truck until I had this job done. Moving it to the new spot was a breeze! No goats blocking the doorways, no babies jumping into the cart, no goats squeezing into the feed room while I was unloading. Well worth the effort!

Picked a few more green beans, zucchini and tomatoes. Yum!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
At our old place, on the land we had, there was a portable building that we used for feed. I had to drive the truck in there to unload feed. My old gelding, Joe, could tear a hole in several bags before I could even put the truck in park, turn it off and get out of the truck. Gheesh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My old gelding, Joe, could tear a hole in several bags before I could even put the truck in park, turn it off and get out of the truck. Gheesh.
There ain't nuttin' dumb about these critters, lol. In fact, the goats were very observant and know exactly where the feed moved to. But, now there are two gates and one very special reason why they shouldn't be able to get to it. Gracie! Gracie doesn't let any livestock into HER yard. And, she's quite serious about it!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And, I might have accidentally (yes - really accidentally) bid on some ducks and won the auction...:thI was looking at duck eggs because my son wants a couple of ducks. So, I had two tabs open and was looking at two different breeds of duck and ended up bidding on the ones that I decided I really didn't want. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

The auction on the Midget Whites doesn't end for a few more hours. I was about to order Midget whites from a hatchery, but they were $10.85 a bird with a minimum order of 10. But, the auction is for 20 eggs and the bid is at $30 right now. Much better price but I really don't want 20 turkeys. With shipped eggs probably not much chance of that...and I hear that turkey poults are pretty suicidal so out of 20 eggs if I ended up with 3 or 4 birds - I'd be happy!

Big question is: Can I incubate them at the same time? Do duck eggs need more humidity...? I didn't think this out very well... geeze.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes duck eggs need more humidity. You might need to bid on a second incubator lol. Duck eggs are more forgiving than turkey eggs though.

What kind of ducks?