Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks @sumi! I'm afraid I may have a problem with these.... But, I'll give it my best shot.
You're welcome! Let me know when hatch time comes, if you (or they) need any help. I've hatched some chickens and ducks that had some difficulty around hatch time and I got them out alive.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whittle down the herds/flocks and save on the feed bill. sounds smart to me! We are scheduled to butcher the last 15 of the CX tomorrow morning. Then I have that coop of Delawares that I hate-12 in there! I also have 2 beautiful, tall, stately Wellsummer roosters that have a death wish for me, so they are off to the canning jars too! I sold 3 lambs and got them gone.

I am a lightweight next to FEM. She has WAY more than me and that's ok. FEM is the animal numbers WINNER!!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am a lightweight next to FEM. She has WAY more than me and that's ok. FEM is the animal numbers WINNER!!
But, but, but - I want to be the loser!! :lol:

We had a busy day today. I think I've mentioned before that the upstairs to this house doesn't have central air like the downstairs does. So, the window unit in our bedroom has slowly been giving up. Dang wrong time of year to try to sleep w/o cool air so we replaced it today. For the last couple weeks I've been sleeping with a wet towel cuz wet = cool. Tonight I will sleep cool AND dry!

DH replaced the lights on the livestock trailer so now I can think abut getting a couple pigs to the butcher - YAY! Step one in herd reduction!

Also went through some clothes in the bedroom and got a bunch of stuff to donate and some stuff to throw away and some seasonal stuff put away.

Back to work tomorrow with a big project that was dropped on me at the last minute last week. Yay... (but I'm awesome so I'll get it done before the deadline), lol!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The whittling knife gets sharper when you retire. :lol: I'm planning and bought a new stone & oil this week. :hide
Next time we're in Harbor Freight, I need to buy a new whetrock . Our neighbor doesn't know how to sharpen a knife and handed me his hunting knife ( I don't think he knows how to hunt either) and asked me to sharpen it. I need to teach him how to do these things..... I have one of these 3 sided stones and I like it.

image_23087.jpg

and get him one of these

image_26052.jpg

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for getting pigs to butcher! Animal number reduction and delicious food.... You definitely are the animal numbers winner though, lol. Speaking of which, do you have more goats you expect kids out of?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Speaking of which, do you have more goats you expect kids out of?
Just had to bring that up didn't ya? LOL

I turned a buck out with the does back in Feb (I think). I need to go back and check my calendar. So, the answer to that is - yes....some of the girls are getting cute little bellies so we'll wait and see what happens there. Mostly FF's bred to the Kinder buck. Only problem that I've had with him in the past is that he throws LOTS of boys. Only good thing about that is I don't wanna keep boys - so I don't hesitate about selling them.

My plan has been to list the current bucklings for this coming weekend when I'll be off for a few extra days. Now 'they're' saying we might have a lot of rain. We need rain - but I need to sell goats too so maybe I can get them listed in the next day or two and try to sell early in the weekend..

I've started using extra milk for feeding pigs. I'm soaking corn in milk and letting it sit for a day and the pigs LOVE it. I've always done that sporadically, but I'm being more consistent with it now. And, I'm still giving the girly pigs regular pig food too - but not as much. The boys are on pasture and a bit of corn. Extra eggs and table scraps to all too. I'm not getting my food pantry leftovers right now. That'll start up again when the next semester starts.

I need to get the freezer organized a bit better before butcher date. (which I haven't even called about yet) I've gotten sloppy about it since it's not so full right now....just tossing things in instead of stacking neatly. Adding that to my ever growing list...

Gotta get busy - big project that isn't technically due until the end of the week - but I want it off of my plate today if possible.

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Boy babies are good for you, lol! I bet the pigs love that! My pigs go crazy for whey, it's dangerous being the whey - bringer! I don't think they're used to goodies!

Good luck with the big project!