Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How condescending of them. Go you, telling them what's up!
So you mean that you are NOT a stupid female? :lol:

At least not in that area, lol! On the day my son went to his prom he and I were under his truck installing a new transmission. He made it to the prom on time! (and he wouldn't go in anything but HIS truck - what a hardhead, lol)

I got pretty independent after my divorce. I did a lot of simple maintenance, oil changes, timing belt replacement kinda things just to prove I could, lol.

Would you make more money selling weaned piglets, rather than a pregnant sow? Sell the Weaners , breed the Sows, then sell them.
Maybe....but I've got too many pigs! I would like to get back down to about three.

I'd like to have no more animals than my pasture can support during good growing season. Yes, there will always be hay needs during the winter and again if we have months and months of rain like we've had in the past (or months and months of drought). But, for the most part I need to DOWN size!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Awesome, FEM, about the oil change! :thumbsup Funny story for you: When we came back from our mini break in Cork my friend who drove us realised he had almost NO oil in his car (should've checked BEFORE we left, but anyway…) It being a bank holiday not many places were open, but we drove carefully to the nearest village and asked at the store there if they happen to have some engine oil lying around? The owner said unfortunately not, I should go down and ask at the pub. Yes, the PUB. The owner there thankfully was feeding some cats outside at the time, so I hauled ass up the road and asked her if she can help out (they were not open yet, being so early in the morning). She said sure, they can. Into the pub and there, behind the cans of Guinness, were engine oil and other car lubricants and products. The pub doubles as service station. Only in Ireland?

Attachments

• IMG_1971.JPG
    IMG_1971.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 187

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many pigs do you have anyway? Lol your boar is not helpful! You keep on downsizing, it's a good feeling in the end.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How many pigs do you have anyway?
Ummmmmmmmmmm.... I dunno? :hu LOL

That big ol' boar butt is a pain in my tuckus for sure! IF it's not raining all weekend I'll be working on the electric fencing arrangement and hope that he can figure it out after a zap or two!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My pigs so respect fencing. They HATE being zapped. Hope he's the same! Actually I think if we had to use real fencing full time with them, we may not have decided on this venture yet. We don't have existing fencing so it would have been a giant pain! How many you have going to the butcher?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I want to take two of the smaller boars to be processed. As soon as the lights on my stinkin' trailer are lighting again lol! Hopefully within the next couple weeks...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I get a three day weekend - yay! It's supposed to pour rain the whole time - double yay? I'm ok with it - we need the rain. But, I want it to hold off long enough that I can get some electric fencing up to keep Big Daddy out of the sow pen.

I intended to get some round bales this weekend but I'm not going to. DS brought my tractor back just so I could unload the hay with it...oops! That's ok though, my tractor should live at my house.

I finally had some broodies hatch some chicks! I've got three sitting and I found that two of the hens each had one chick this afternoon. Not great, but I hope there'll be more by morning.

The one lone duck egg that started developing is still making progress. DS was here so I candled the egg and we saw movement! It's got about a week to go so I hope it keeps on track and actually hatches. :fl