Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Grrrrr - I put off getting the round bales this morning because it was supposed to rain and I didn't want to drive nearly an hour each way in the rain. So, this morning the forecast has pushed the rain back another day. BUT- we've had a couple tiny showers this morning. Just enough to make the air feel like a hot, wet sponge. I am determined to work on the electric fence today but I keep finding things to keep me in the AC, lol. But, since I told DH I was going to get hay today he jumped on the trailer wiring and finished that. Haven't hooked it up to the truck to see if they actually work yet. :fl

Big day here! DH is quitting his job - yaHOOOO! The job he's been working since all his eye problems was never considered (by him) to be a permanent gig. Funny how things work out sometimes. Last week he got a call from someone he used to work with in a behavioral (psyc) hospital. They asked DH what he's been doing lately and if he was interested in a Director position in their facility. Uh - yes! Nice salary jump and DH's self-esteem took a giant jump back in the right direction. He's always hated that his health was such a big factor in his earning capability. Didn't matter to me cuz like I always told him - I know how to be poor. I look at it as a challenge. No biggie. But, some men's ego is all tied up in their job title or their income level and gotta admit that DH is in that category. Poor fella...

He will be driving into downtown every day though... ugh. It'll be a 72mile round trip every day.

I now have 4 chicks that have hatched - two in the incubator from eggs I snatched out from under hens and the two broodies that have each hatched one. I think I'll take these little guys outside and let a mama have them. I really don't want to have to hand raise anything else right now.

Need to get into the garden and take out the spent stuff and get ready for some fall stuff. AND, I want to 'clone' some tomatoes. I think I can get some starts offa the ones that did the best and hope they'll do something for fall.

Gotta get out there... Happy Friday, ya'll!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
They asked DH what he's been doing lately and if he was interested in a Director position in their facility. Uh - yes! Nice salary jump and DH's self-esteem took a giant jump back in the right direction.
Fantastic news!!! :)

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay for your DH! It rained a little here today, not nearly what we need though. Hope your trailer lights work, you need some pork in that freezer!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Our morning showers evaporated! And it's hot. However, the spot that I needed to work was pretty shaded this morning - so I got some electric fence over the gate that Big Daddy goes through all the time. And, he bumped it once...just once, gave a tiny, un-boar-like squeal and walked away. I'm a little worried that I put it too high. It's about16 inches from the ground. When he sticks his snout under the fence to pick it up - that spot is only about 4 inches from the ground. Hopefully, that one little "bite" he got will do the trick. I need to eventually go around that whole pen, but I don't know if I have enough insulators. I'll work on it some more this evening - need to get some inside chores done - ugh!

I hope the trailer lights work too. I'll probably hook it up and see if it works at some point this weekend.

Need to find food then get busy.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My AGH guru I found on Facebook says 12". We have two strands, 6" and 12" and ours VERY MUCH respect it! Lol! Hope he does too!

Hey, how's Cowboy? He's been quiet lately?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo for DH's new job!!!
Thanks! He's excited - so I'm excited for him!

My AGH guru I found on Facebook says 12".
Oops - I probably should've done some research before I jumped into that job - but I'll hope for the best. If it doesn't work it won't be a huge deal to lower it.

I didn't put electric around the rest of the pen, but I did go around and added some staples to the posts and reinforced some of the connectors. I guess I'll know soon enough if he gets back in. I swear sometimes I think he just jumps the stupid fence, lol!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is great news about your husband's new job. Congrats to him. The drive won't be so bad. I used to work in Houston when we lived in Livingston, it was 78 miles one way. I used it as my prayer time.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey, how's Cowboy? He's been quiet lately?
I don't think I told the latest Cowboy story. It happened last weekend when the guy came out to buy goats. This man owns a Pyr - but he was terrified of Cowboy, lol. He would NOT go in the fence with him even if I was with him. I offered to tie him up - but nope - he wasn't convinced that he would be safe.

As I've mentioned - he took the five buckling's I had in the front pen, but he wanted the wether that was out in the pasture so I went out to fetch him. I had left a feed bucket sitting on the ground in the front pen, so while I wasn't looking Cameo went and stuck her head in the bucket. Of course she came up with the handle over her head and she freaked out! She was running all over the pen and without being able to see she ran right into the water trough and fell in....all with a bucket over her head.

I was out in the pasture dragging a reluctant goat by a rope when all this happened. Poor Cameo - somehow besides falling in the water trough which of course meant 'instant death' in her mind - she managed to get her leg stuck through the fence and couldn't get it back. I'm screaming for DH and the buyer to HELP HER! DH (bless his heart) is not an animal guy but he headed in her direction to try to do something. The buyer ended up reaching her first. Of course, she was screaming because she was wet, had a bucket over her head and her leg stuck in the fence.

Cowboy heard one of his girls in trouble and sprang into action. He was in another pen on the other side of the pasture. To get where his goat was he had to jump into the pig pen and back out the other side. The pig pen is behind the barn so nobody could see him except me because I was out in the pasture, but I knew what he was doing. With all the commotion of the goat screaming, me screaming for somebody to help her and Cowboy charging to the rescue - the horses decide it's time to head to the far corner of the pasture.

Right about the time the horses headed around the side of the barn was the EXACT time that Cowboy was leaping out of the pig pen. He flew over the hog panel and landed square on top of one of the mini's. Timing could not have been more perfect and it would have been hilarious except that my goat was drowning, I was being dragged by a different goat and the buyer who was helping Cameo was terrified that the "perro is going to bite me." ARGH!

All's well that ends well I guess. Cameo didn't melt or drown (but she did cut a nice laceration in her leg and she's still limping), the horse didn't die either, the "perro" didn't bite the buyer, and I made money that day. But, if I coulda had a video of Cowboy landing on that horse it would be priceless!

He's such a good dog. I keep threatening to neuter him but my heart's not in it. I don't want him to get fat and lazy. But, it's a pain in the butt when the girls are in heat...ugh. I wish I could find a vet who would vasectomize him. That would at least retain his personality and vigor. I need to call around!

Last edited:

Latest posts