Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That is so funny! Crazy animals… I can't imagine the poor mini with Cowboy suddenly appearing out of nowhere, landing on it's back. Didn't this buyer say he wants to come back? Won't surprise me ;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He did say that - but I'm kinda hoping he won't. I do have a buck I would be happy to sell him - and a couple roosters and pigs - but I'm hesitant to sell him does. I like my does to go to permanent homes and I don't think he is that kind of goat buyer. He did say he'd like to breed some - but.... I just don't get that vibe from him. See! This is why I have so many goats! I feel responsible for their whole life - not just the part they spend with me.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm catching up on reading! :)

Congrats to DH on new job! Hope you guys have a fuel efficient vehicle. Yeah, that 1-1.5 hr drive won't be great but, once adjusted to, doable. In fact, it may not be a LOT more than he is doing now. That would be easier transition. Hope his eyesight has improved, as you had mentioned in past about driving, esp in dark.

Poor Cameo! What a mess. But aren't goats just known for this type of stuff? Yeah, she's living up to her potential. :lol: But I do love that Cowboy took it in stride and headed to the rescue! He probably didn't care the mini was there but, she was maybe a little started. Never a dull moment.

I'm a little jealous that YOU are talking about Fall crops and I got my Spring in so late that I haven't even gotten on summer pick of anything. OK tomatoes have bloom and peppers have little peppers.....that's it! I have one day off -- TODAY -- and at least 4 days worth of steady work. Never ends.

I have been dealing with a young skunk that, it appears, has made a home here. :( It has been getting into the barn, after eggs! It is incredibly strong & innovative in it's digging. Moving several bricks.....at dusk last night, I'm out to close up coops and in one the whole flock is raging with sqwacks. I am thinking...snake....fox....look and see no fox in area, approach with caution. Close first coop after seeing nothing and they are quiet. Next to them the sqwackers. Enter, look, ahah -- there's the little skunk. CAREFULLY, check it out and get a trap with a broken egg set next to it. Instead, it goes by and shows me the tiny dip under a board, heads out. I stepped out to see where it's going....suddenly gone! Not near the fence, so closest hide is UNDER the larger first coop. Not for sure but, think it's living there. Tresspasser. Will set traps tonight. Could be an adventure to remove. :D Will add fence under ground along this 2nd coop. Other has a floor, etc., this one boards to dirt.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
UGH on the skunk! I remember reading/hearing/seeing a story on trapping skunks. They completely covered a livetrap with something...maybe plastic. in fact I think they slipped the trap inside a big contractor type trash bag. The only area not covered was the open end where the critter would enter. Then when the skunk was trapped the trapper would sneak up from the direction that the skunk couldn't see and drop the end of the bag over the area not covered and then could safely carry the skunk away to be dealt with in a different area. Might work...

Been out this morning adjusting the electric across the gate that I worked on yesterday. Didn't make me feel awesome that Big Daddy was in the forbidden area this morning. Geeze.... So, I lowered the tape to about 8 inches from the ground and now the gauge says it's not running at full-strength. So, I've got some trouble-shooing to do. I think it's because the gate is warped and bowed. The insulated handle for that gate is touching a board....wonder if that's it? But, if the handle is insulated would it matter? I'll call DS in a bit - he is the electric guru!

Still watching the weather pretty closely. The tropical wave that's out there has a small chance of developing before it makes landfall. We're already forecast for 4 - 6 inches of rain - don't really want it any winds, tornadoes, and/or more rain along with that. This system was supposed to be here yesterday...then today...now tomorrow. The longer it's out there the more chance it has to grow. GRRRRR!

We've been tossing around the idea of investing in a whole-house generator. The kind that comes on automatically when the power goes out. It's spendy though... Trying to decide if it's worth the investment for something that we may only need once every few years. With DH's health and medication needs it is something to consider. We already have a decent sized portable generator that I got by with after Hurricane Ike. Worked great, but I had to alternate running the fridge and freezer. Dunno - may just buy another portable.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, cage in a carboard box or a bag. Also, if it is a short cage and skunk can't fully stand to raise tail...less chance of spray. No way it will be a fun venture. :D Last one had conveniently walked into a piece of large PVC to hide. The dog alerted, I looked, then put caps on each end of tube & transported. :clap No spray, once opened & tilted it ran out. Another juvenile. The older ones are FAR more intolerant.

The board should not be the issue, but you have a touching elsewhere....walk & look before you make too many changes. Easier to find now than later. Even wet grass can cause lower strength, weeds, etc.

I would love one of those generators BUT the cost just outweighs the use. If you do go that route, big propane tank...you may already have that. I opted for the meter base hook-up for my generator. Same deal BUT, you need to off the breakers for the big things you may have cut in without thought...hot water tank, well pump, etc. You can use them just not at same time. I do wish I had gotten the more expensive propane type but, again...expense. Mine was already 1500, so stopped there. You can have the adapter installed in your panel, rather than at the meter base. Costs. I rent mine from electric co & they install. Then there is gasoline to consider :he Solar would be great. Maybe invest the 15K into that. Tax benefits, maybe. :idunno

Back to Big Daddy -- hmmmm determined guy. One breeder I bought from had electric about 10" from ground. We stepped over and into pig pasture. He did have a fenced area for a catch pen near the barn. They skirted the line like you would not believe!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last one had conveniently walked into a piece of large PVC to hide. The dog alerted, I looked, then put caps on each end of tube & transported. :clap No spray, once opened & tilted it ran out.

That would almost be too easy, lol.

If we do the whole house generator we would have propane installed - but definitely another big expense. We're in the 'talking it through' stage right now. Next step would be to get some firm estimates on a grand total. I don't wanna spend 20K :(

Think I'm gonna back the trailer into the pasture and see if I can lure some pigs up in there. Gotta call the processor Monday morning. Definitely want to get those boars taken care of before deer season gets here.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love Cowboy! He is a hoot. He was just doing his job, trying to rescue the goat. The propane generator is the way to go, when a hurricane blows in, there isn't any electricity to run the gas pumps, trucks don't run, gas runs out and a myriad of other problems. You know ALLLLLLLLLL about it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband used to install and repair generators... If you have questions lemme know!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, just thought of a question! What brands of generators does he recommend.... I recognize the names of Briggs and Stratton and Generac. The few folks that I know with whole house gens have the Generac brand. But, maybe that's because it's more economical? I dunno...

Latest posts