Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do his tusks squeak when he eats grass? Stanley's do and it's the funniest thing ever. It makes me laugh every time!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You're probably like us. It's either feast or famine. Lots of rain or none.
You're right about that! There are years that I have to wear rubber boots from Thanksgiving to Easter (and beyond)! Other years we have cracks so wide that I really worry that one of the mini-horses or goats are gonna break their leg in them.

@NH Homesteader - It took me awhile to figure out what that noise was!!! It is such a weird sound, lol. And, it is funny!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Noticed this morning that my old doe wasn't eating. Noticed when I got home from work that she isn't eating and she isn't moving...laying in the same place and basically not responding to anything. :(

I gave her some yogurt and a penicillin shot (because she's got a little bit of a goopy eye) and then promised her that I'd leave her alone. No more meds unless she starts to improve then I'll continue as long as she's improving. But, I told DH to get ready. I don't think she'll make the night, but if she does and she doesn't show any improvement … well... we'll make sure it doesn't get any worse for her.

I came in and checked her papers - she's 15 years and 10 months old. Pretty long life for a goat.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Aw is this your old pygmy doe? Have you had her for her whole life? She's lucky to have you. Sorry :( that's hard but she had a long happy life with you!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have had her since she was a gleam in her daddy's eye. She has been so remarkably healthy until now. I guess she really can't go on forever... But, she's had a good run. DH and I were trying to remember how many kids she's had. She had her last kids when she was 12 - triplets. She's probably given me somewhere between 20 and 30 kids - and of course they were all gorgeous. She definitely leaves a legacy.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Almost 16 years old. That is one blessed goat, blessed because she belonged to you. You know what is best for her, big hugs.

your Big Daddy sounds like the pot belly pig I had. She had some bodacious big tusks and teeth, but would delicately take a French fry from my fingers. Your AGH sounds like sweet piggies.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
OOOhhhh….so sorry about the doe. That is an old doe! She's been good to you and you to her. I know you would not let her linger and suffer. :hugs to you both. Be sure to have a talk with her before you go in for the night, she will enjoy your hugs, love, gratitude for her life and telling her it is ok to cross the Rainbow Bridge. She will appreciate you understand. Letting them go is the worse part of their life with you :hit

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ahhh, thanks guys. This doe has never been a big people goat. I can scratch her shoulders, and that's about it if it's her choice. I even milked her a couple years ago and she'd jump on the milk stand and stand perfectly, but she never would seek out affection. Thus, my letting her be after medicating her. She was resting when I finished feeding tonight, but not interested in any goings on in the barnyard. She has no temp, she's breathing easy - only symptom is a bit of a goopy eye and not wanting to eat. She did get up when I gave her the injection so there's nothing wrong with her ability to move - she just doesn't want to. If she shows any improvement tomorrow and acts like she wants to fight - we'll fight. If it's clear that she's not going to improve then we'll end it.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ah I'm sorry, like I said, she's lucky to have you. You'll do what's in her best interest, even if it sucks. Do you still have any of her kids?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Some of these animals become like family sometimes. Let us know how she is when you check up on her.