Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I am soooo not looking forward to it.... And, got a call from a work friend who has her 20 acres baled every year into round bales. Their hay guy will be baling their place soon so she offered me a couple of bales - yay! How much you wanna bet it'll be on Monday when it's so stinking hot.

I'll probably go ahead and pull the trailer out of the pasture today and check the air pressure in the tires. I'll keep in touch with her and see if I need to pull the trailer to work on Monday to keep from needing to come home to get it and then go back. I live in the opposite direction of her.

Don't have anything extra on the agenda today other than moving the trailer. Planning on not melting and/or hurting myself out there today.

Need to get out and feed before it gets any hotter.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Decided to break the pattern and milk Cameo and Hiney this morning. I've only been milking in the evening, but Cameo's production is slipping. I'm pretty sure it's from this darn heat, but an increased demand may help her step it up a bit. I'll milk twice a day this weekend and see if it helps. It'll be interesting to see if she can increase a bit when she's 4 months into her lactation. I need her to keep going. I've started milking the Nigi now too because her silly baby only nurses one teat. Once a day milking on one teat yields me a whopping cup a day of milk. Impressive - NOT. But, if it were two teats twice a day I guess she'd be donating a quart a day to the mix. :hu

I thought I'd have some does due by the end of July from having a buck with them back in February. I looked at the pasture gals yesterday when I was feeding yesterday evening and I'm just not sure. However, when I'm feeding I can only see their front ends since they eat with their heads through the fence facing me. I need to do a back end check, lol. I do have one or two that are pretty pudgy so I need to give them a closer look.

I picked a little okra yesterday that made a nice little lunch. Picked some red rippers and some peppers too. I have a batch of peppers in the dehydrator so I need to take them out and add the new batch. I'll use them in soups and beans and whatever I can toss 'em into. I got the peas shelled too. It's so much easier to stay inside and get that done when it's sweltering outside.

Guess since I'm 'trapped' inside I should find something in here to clean...ugh.

Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That heat sounds horrible. It reminds me of S.A. We're back to our normal, mid to high 60's here now and yesterday I think we got no higher than about 57F. Hope things will cool down by you guys soon!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
DH and I were just saying we wish there was a place where it was in the 20's in the winter and below 80 in the summer. Then I remembered there is, and it's also the cool place with all the castles! Lol!!! I think we love Ireland.
Our daytime temperatures in winter is usually in the high 30's to 40's F and between 50 and 70F in summer. We do go up to 80F sometimes, but it doesn't happen that often and heavy snow like we had last winter happens every 30 years or so only. We usually get a coating only. Our weather's been mad this past year though. With the storm, then the hard winter, then the dry, hot summer now. Still nowhere NEAR as extreme as yours though!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
2018 Breeding Plan I use the word "plan" loosely, lol!

Dusty (Nubian Buck) - Red (Nubian), Noir (Kinder), GG (Kinder)
Poor guy - doesn't get much action this year, but since he's got so many daughters here I'm gonna change it up a bit.

Big Kinder Buck - Snippit (Nubian), Mini Nub1, Mini Nub2, Luna (Nubian)
This guy throws a lot of bucks, ugh. Hope for change this year.

Conan (Kiko) - Spot (Nubian), Emily (Nubian), Cameo (Nubian), Lucy (Kinder)
Breeding him to some of the bigger does in case he throws big babies. He was only about 7lbs at birth so I hope that means he won't throw any that are bigger than he was.

Small Kinder Buck - Patch (Nubian), Not Patch(Nubian), English Toffee(Nubian), Blondie (Kinder)

Chester (Pygmy Buck) - Pygmy doe, PIA (nigi doe)

Felix (Nigi Buck) - Hiney (Nigi Doe)

Of course, any and all of this could change at any time. Some of these does may be bred already, lol.

All Nubian does except Red are Dusty's daughters.

Any and all Nigi's are on the short list so may not be with me long enough to be bred. But we know that even when I want to sell goats it takes me awhile to work up to it!

The "Small Kinder Buck" is also on the short list - but he's so darn cute that I'm gonna use him as long as I have him!

The pygmy doe that Chester may have a date with has not produced a live kid in several years so....

Had to put this in writing so I'd remember. ;) I reserve the right to change my mind at any time.

But, ya know what they say about the best laid plans....

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, :) I do! And, that doesn't include Freckles. But, it's down from a year ago! Only 24ish.... much better than 30+!

Can you imagine if all those does had a minimum of twins?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Also awesome you have a doe called PIA. Lol. I am excited for Conan babies! Are you considering a kiko doe at some point?