Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We both know that buying young has risk.

I only saw pics of his sire and dam. Met the owner in a parking lot and got him at just a couple days old....so definitely a "take what you get" situation. But, I did want him for the Kiko parasite resistance most of all, and he's proven to be everything I could have asked for in that department. He's a bit over 6 months old and he's been basically care free. That's what I need in this climate! (even though it's been a 'dry' year for us) Pretty sure his kids will be designated for meat which is, again, what I intended. But, having shown goats for so many years and bred and bred and bred for wide escutcheons and straight hind legs it's disturbing to me to see what he's got, lol!

I will likely save one or two of his daughters to experiment on - you know I can't resist, lol. My does all have nice rear structure so it'll be interesting to see what comes out of the cross. Even with narrow rear ends and cruddy udders I'll breed them back to Dusty who is an udder buck extraordinaire. He's put beautiful udders on does who I thought would have no chance of having a decent udder!

Who knows what color he'll pass. I may be having a field of white/cream too before long. But I can change that too, lol! Love me some Dusty...we'll be breeding spotted Kiko x Nubian crosses.

Got to get busy today and get all of mom and dad's business closed out. Need to see about getting their taxes from last year filed. Ugh. Nuttin' to it but to do it!

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Spent...all...day...going through paperwork. Need to get mom/dad's 2017 taxes filed and needed to find their SS statements. I fussed at DH the other day cuz I just KNEW he had moved them from the spot that I always put tax papers.
No I didn't.
Yes you did.
No I didn't
You had to or they'd still be there.
NO I DIDN"T!

Wanna know where I found 'em? Stuffed in a notebook that was stuffed in a basket that he started putting everything associated with mom and dad. He moved 'em. I knew it... GEEZE!

So, I also can't find a statement from their retirement plan. UGH...I'll be giving them a call for a copy. I HATE losing documents - that's NOT who I am or how I work - but lost they were. My plan is to get this all taken care of along with filling out the beneficiary paperwork to get the 401K closed out and disbursed.

I swear staying inside and dealing with this stuff all day has been a royal pain in the tuckus! I'd rather spend all day outside shoveling stuff than do this. But, it needed to be dealt with.

Gotta get outside now and feed...and see if any ls are hanging out and teasing bucks. It's definitely started.

My craigslist posting for the piglets is a big fat dud. Absolutely no responses. That's ok - I like pork! :drool

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just realized I have a serious lack of pork in my freezer. Compared to what is usually in there anyway. And I can't eat any of my pigs!!

Glad you found the paperwork. Any updates on the nephew?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I just realized I have a serious lack of pork in my freezer.
Yikes! That's horrible....! Hope you get some baby piggies soon! Ya gotta get those babies to start coming...and then ya stagger the subsequent deliveries so you've always got some growing and ready for the next butcher date. They grow slow so ya gotta keep 'em coming!

They are too stinkin' cute for words. DD1 is gonna love 'em! And, as soon as they figure out you're the bringer of food they get real friendly, real quick. I can reach down and scratch and rub on all 5 of these babies. Hopefully, it'll make 'em easier to catch IF someone ever wants to buy any.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can't wait to have babies! They're amazingly tiny! And all my adults have lovely temperaments so the babies should too.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would have loved to have a grand parent with baby pigs on a farm when I was a kid. You are giving your grands the "Ultimate Grandma" experience! Toss in some goats, dogs, those kids will be in heaven! You absolutely MUST build a fire outside, after dark, to roast marshmallows over and tell stories!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Don't you feel better now?

Talked yourself thru the Conan doubts & workables. Got parents paperwork found and mostly wound down.... AND tomorrow is Saturday!

:clap :celebrate

PS We won't mention being right about "who" moved things around. :hide

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You absolutely MUST build a fire outside, after dark, to roast marshmallows over and tell stories!
I had to smile at that suggestion .... we always start a fire in the fire pit on the back porch and tell "round robin" type stories. One of the grown ups will start a story and get it going and then we stop so one of the grands has to pick up the story, and we go around (round robin style, duh) until we conclude the story. Such a wonderful imagination experience - and they LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

We won't mention being right about "who" moved things around. :hide
Too late - I already did! But, I was nice about it. He asked why there were stacks of papers all over the dining room table...I've gone through 'em all and separated them into appropriate stacks, but need to get them all filed. I guess that'll be tomorrows chore... ugh.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dusty, Dusty, Dusty.... he's my rut barometer and I can say without any doubt whatsoever - it's here! This big ol' butt-head decided to go check out some women today. He decided to do that right after I walked the fence line on the buck pen just cuz I've seen that look in his eye lately. My inspection didn't make any difference cuz he walked right up to the stock panel, stood there for a minute, then just like the talented guy that he is he jumped it...from a standstill. Popped right over it like it wasn't even there and then headed to the furthest corner of the pasture where the does were. I watched him for a few minutes and never saw him mount any of the does but ya'd think he got out for a reason. He was quite the gentleman and went willingly right back into his pen when he (and the gals) came back up. I put him back in his pen and closed him off of that area of the fence that he hopped. Big ol' galoot! From a dead standstill - just popped over it like it was nothing. A full sized stock panel...sigh.

Got into the garden and picked a big ol' batch of okra, a bunch more peppers and an eggplant! Yay! it's not dead after all, just can't see anything for the mile high weeds. Also found a couple patches of volunteer basil that have popped up since the last time I trekked through there. Yay!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh Dusty! He and Cowboy are a fence hopping team! How big is Dusty? Some of those big nubians are, well, quite big lol.