Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yeah, Nubians seem to be great jumpers. I have a doe 1/2 nub that goes wherever she pleases. My mini Nub buck -- he outgrew mini years ago! -- hops fences better than I can climb them. Neither go off, just wander where they want.

Thankfully, both are quite willing to come to you and go back into the field. Of course, there is always the "look" they give -- "satisfied? Yeah, I'll be back out in a few" -- and they are, generally the next day. I just can't put taller fence everywhere! :idunno I do have an area with the slightly taller panels. Use that in heavy rut, until I get all bred. Just smaller area and requires ME to do more to hay, etc.

Yesterday I had to reinforce a torn up section of board fence for the young bucks. Those guys had decided to visit the chicken lot and my 3 new apple trees. :he I salvaged 2. :mad:

Considering banding the 4 and throwing them into a FAR field to eat & grow out for freezer. Would rather sell but, really just do not have the time to answer calls & be here to show them. Checking to see what auction dates may be. Of course, they are always a Saturday & I generally work every Sat at one of my jobs. :rolleyes:

Quitting a job can't come tooooooo soon! :old

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He's about this big:

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-5_8-35-10.png
    upload_2018-8-5_8-35-10.png
    640 KB · Views: 301

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That pic was last year - he looks so much better now. Ok, truth is he looked better about a month or so ago - before any hint of rut in the air. I guarantee you by December he will be a mere shadow of his former self...he will be a ragged looking bag of bones. Poor fella - he takes the rut very seriously, lol.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh wow. Does he not eat much or just wear himself out chasing the ladies?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He hardly eats at all....just hangs out at the fence line. Poor baby! I may do it differently this year. Might just pen some bucks and does together and see if that makes 'em all feel better. He can have his women with him and maybe then he'll eat.

I need to do something - cuz these guys aren't too fond of my breeding plan this year. They just want what they want and don't care at all that I'm trying to play matchmaker!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Right now Conan and Lucy are sequestered in their own honeymoon suite. Yay! I definitely saw some action but I didn't see "success"... I think he needs practice.

Put Red and Dusty together for a few minutes since they were all acting like they were wanting a bit of special time...but nope….timing wasn't in their favor. Maybe tomorrow? :hu

I was walking around amongst the does today and I still wonder if some of them are bred. But, in order for that to happen bucks woulda had to be out of their pen and then put themselves back up all without me seeing anything, lol. I mean - I know they're sneaky and all....but that seems a little farfetched...even for MY guys, lol.

I'm tired, about to pack it in for the night. In bed before 9??? Sounds good to me!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
See why I love these little pigs?! How many piglets will come up to you and lay their head down on your shoe waiting for a scratch? This batch of babies are the sweetest things!

image.jpg

Last edited: