Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Dusty, Dusty, Dusty - that big ol' stinker was out again today. I mean, yea, I figured he'd get out again cuz I didn't do anything special to his pen when I put him up. That's only cuz I needed a new tarp to cover his hoop house with cuz it was supposed to rain the last couple days (and the next week or so) ugh. Anyway - he was out today and chasing a couple girls that were MIRACULOUSLY on his list! And one that wasn't... might need the lutalyse for that one...pygmy x Nubian = Kinder - but I don' think the cross is supposed to be Nubian buck and Pygmy doe... sigh.

So, today at lunch I bought a new tarp and while he was running around chasing women I put the new tarp on his hoop house. Tonight he is sequestered in 1/4 of the buck pen...and it's totally away from any fence line where he can get close to does. I guess if he's determined to get out again he'll have to jump out of his pen, into another pen, and then jump out of that one too....hope he's not that determined. Not sure if hot wire would work if he just jumps over it....geeze!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, Dusty. Leave the pygmies alone! Lol whoever invented lute was a genius and had probably saved the lives of many little does!

Those piggies are so sweet! Charlotte chases us around and flops on our feet, lol. Nice change from friendly-ish full size hogs!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This big doofus didn't mind jumping two or three fences to get out again today - but the does showed him - they escaped to the other side of the barn and away from him cuz he's a stupid man and couldn't figure out how to get through the puzzle that is the pathway through the barn and around the blockade and everything else that they got through. Makes it sound like I've got really crappy fences huh? But, I think I've just got smart goats - except for stupid Dusty, lol!

I can't do what needs to be done during the week to fix his escape route. I'm only half thinking that electric would stop him...I think he'd probably just jump it anyway and tear it up...course maybe he wouldn't do it again. This stuff shouldn't be happening yet...we should have another couple months before all this rut drama - argh!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sheep are so much easier. I never haver the high jinx that y'all do with your bucks.

Cute piggy. Having only feeder pigs, we never get that friendly. Some of them get rather untrustworthy and make me uneasy. Others have been perfectly fine.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Stink X 5 at my house, lol! I don't even want to go close to their pen - much less in it!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
That pig is adorable :love

I was thinking of you all and your goats yesterday. I took DS to a petting farm in Kilkenny and they had a pair of goats there and a very young kid. Oh my goodness, was that thing CUTE! And so tame and friendly, all of them.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well, today was supposed to have the lowest chance of rain all week. At lunch I made a run to the feed store since I was dangerously low on goat feed...mighta could have stretched it out another day at most. Picked up no less than 15 bags of feed and went back to work. Sitting in my office and kept hearing this rumbling. Looked out the window to the south and saw blue skies. Heard the rumbling again - looked out the window again thinking it was maybe the folks in truck driving school running through the parking lot so I looked out to the north parking lot...YIKES! Solid black skies and swirling clouds. My co-worker was telling me to get the heck outta there and get my feed home. Wasn't sure I'd make it, but unloaded all those bags of feed, in my work clothes, in about 7 or 8 minutes if that. Sweat running down my face, clothes soaked, lightening all around me and I'm in an all metal trailer (grounded by the tires, right?) but still cringing every time the sky roared. But, I made it! Feed is under cover. Times like these I miss having an SUV that will keep my feed dry. I have one of those fancy dancy bed covers, but do you think it's waterproof....UGH. It's operator error I'm sure, but it needs to be adjusted or something...

Been home a good 20 minutes now and the sky is still shouting the wind is still whipping but nary a drop of rain....yet?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
FEM :th It had better rain after all that! Good heavens that must've been scary.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Woohoo! You got it done! Darn lying weather reports. So, is it pouting now?