Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We had about 6 drops of rain and it's moved on by - geeze. We got a little bit last night and a little yesterday afternoon so we're at least moist, but moisture equals humidity - yuck.

AND - drum roll please - it look like Dusty stayed in his pen today. Yea...at least until somebody else comes sashaying around the fence wagging her tail at him, lol!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay Dusty! I hope he didn't prove you wrong after you posted that, lol!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
yay! success!!!

LOL, sheep are way easier! Only think is we can't put ram/ewe groups in adjoining pastures because then will start ramming each other. They absolutely crushed and mangled a big metal gate last year. :eek: We'll leave and empty pasture between the ram/ewe breeding groups this year!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yay Dusty! I hope he didn't prove you wrong after you posted that, lol!
AND - drum roll please - it look like Dusty stayed in his pen today.
Ok that was a tiny lie.... he wasn't out with the does but he had jumped from the corner out into the bigger area of his original pen. Guess he doesn't like being told what to do and where to live, lol. Grrrrr! I dole out the feed I should be in charge. Sad....
We'll leave and empty pasture between the ram/ewe breeding groups this year!
That's what I'm trying to do...but he keeps changing my plans!!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We'll leave and empty pasture between the ram/ewe breeding groups this year!

I've got several areas cross fenced for JUST the reason of keeping separation between mini horses. Those stallions will breed thru a fence if possible...and resulting in his being hung up in them sometimes. Now, it helps with the other animals as well. Goats are big, smart, excellent jumpers, strong pushing animals. Many do NOT respect hot wire. It's a challenge. They do not ram like a sheep ram will. That is like a brick wall into another...total concentration and constant effort!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He was still in this morning... however, that does not mean he won't be right back out when the next doe is cycling. The does are on the other side of the barn right now in a very small area that I usually park the trailers in and store round bales. It's not really intended to be a pasture, but right now its functioning as one. It needed to have the grass in there eaten down anyway. Since they have been over there Dusty has stayed in his area...but that's not a permanent solution. I'll figure something out this weekend even if it means more hot wire. Gonna have to try it if he keeps this up. Crazy - he didn't jump out at all last year and only once the year before (just to prove he could, I think). The other idea is to separate the does into pens with the buck I want to breed them to - and hope he'll stay with his own little band of girls. I dunno...:hu

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And, he was still in today - yay!

I swear I keep looking at a couple of my does and am seeing udder...little baby starter udders. And little baby bellies - nobody is huge, but it's enough to have me shaking my head and wondering what kind of trick somebody is trying to play on me!!

Ok, but, that would mean they were probably bred in May-ish….. It seems like one day back when mom was bad and I spent a lot of time at the facility that I remember coming home one day and thinking I saw a buck out - but by the time I got outside everybody was in their own pen. I didn't write anything down so this might all be a fig newton of my imagination, lol! I'm about to give up - whoever gets bred to whoever is how things might be....I knew I shouldn't waste my time trying to make a "plan." :lol:

And, the football drought is OVER! Watching my
:bow
Houston Texans whopping up on the Chiefs.

Latest posts