Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds yummy! And I'm glad nothing too horrid is headed your way. You just get so much rain there. I'm really curious to hear how Conan affects parasite resistance in your herd. Kikos are so cool!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm really curious to hear how Conan affects parasite resistance in your herd.
Me too! Checked his eyelids the other day and they're bright pink! Checked Chester's and they are too. Never had problems when I was raising just pygmies - they are pretty hearty. Kinder's are too. My big Kinder buck is probably 4 years old and I may have wormed him at most once a year and I haven't trimmed his feet since he was a young 'un. It's these silly Nubians who are so wussified.

Yea, even without the hurricane we've got rain in the forecast for the next 7 - 10 days. Ugh. Wondering if there'll be any more hay cut with all this wetness around.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
We got a mosquito warning, lots are testing positive for West Nile virus in NH.

How many before they issue a warning? An [unvaccinated] Amish horse near us was infected with West Nile. First case of the year in WI. West Nile is definitely still out there! Mosquitos haven't been bad for us this year!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have no idea. 12 samples throughout the state were positive. I don't know if it's an official "warning" but the state said hey, wear bug spray. They vaccinate horses for it? We've also not had major mosquitos this year. Just squirrels. We have a major overpopulation problem. Random! Lol

Yeah I'm all done with wussified dairy goats. My minis do pretty well, which I appreciate.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are right about that! We've had rain for the past week and will have more all of this week and through the weekend it looks like - and so far - not a drop from Gordon. And, not likely either.... Pigs are the only critters loving this weather.

Red is in high heat...she's going from buck pen to buck pen teasing the boys. But, nope - not time. I do not want early February babies. She's gotta wait at least one more cycle.

Woo Hoo - I got my 10,000 steps today. Walked on the treadmill before work, went to the bathroom a LOT, and utilized the tiny little portable elliptical I have in my office. Finished off on the treadmill tonight. Yay!

Need another glass of tea - no booze on work nights for awhile. :( I'm so impressed with myself! LOL!! :lol:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I might have early February babies. Oops, lol! That's what heat lamps are for!

At least the pigs are happy, any litters due soon?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Heat lamps could work. But, I nearly had a tragedy with one a whole lot of years ago. If my son had not been awake in the middle of the night who knows what would have happened. As it turned out he jumped into a burning stall, grabbed a mama doe and her two kids and literally tossed them out before endangering himself anymore. He grabbed a water hose and put it out. Thankfully that happened in a metal barn so the only thing really burning was the bedding...but the mama doe lost a big patch of hair and one of the babies too. Crazy scary- and I've been leery ever since.

But my prejudice against Feb. babies is more a wet issue than a cold issue. o_O The way things are going right now it might just stay wet until summer next year.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Eek that is scary! I bought the super expensive safe ones with the guard on them and we have two points they hang by and put a grate over the warming barrel.

I forget it's wet there in winter. Or always, actually!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Goodness, FEM, that's scary! Very brave of your son too.

Our February is generally not brutal cold, but guaranteed wet. You can work around it though, safe heat lamps etc.