Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That was mean.....he just needs to fool you and breed them all!:p:fl

I'd like to have those two moonspotteds. Bet they are Dusty daughters -- yes?

FarmerJamie -- how is the texture of the bread you posted? Hey, FEM do & reply...:)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Mini Horses Actually, I just made it...texture is kinda like cornbread. I shoulda put a shake of salt in it...and I could see it doing really well with something like rosemary and some parmesan cheese included. I could also see it being used very thinly as a pizza crust-ish.... Now, I still do NOT have a microwave - much to the disdain of my DH (LOL) - so I stuck it in the toaster oven in a mini-loaf pan and it was done in about 10 minutes.

THANKS again @FarmerJamie

Yea, Chester will serve as a barometer of the girl's readiness. Don't feel too sorry for him though - I held a nigi doe for him and gave him a boost a week or so ago so he "got some."

And, it wouldn't hurt if he did breed a doe or three... lots of FF's out there that would probably appreciate a itty, bitty baby. And, there just happens to be one lone pygmy doe out there too. ;)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Awwwh...so he does have a chance with at least one! :clap

The bread -- hmm...the rosemary & cheese sounds good. I'm thinking garlic bread but, how much would the almond flour work with that? Think it would work as a cobbler top?

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Poor Chester! Now that I see his "problem" (height difference) I can understand, but you never know… Where there is a will there's usually a way ;)

Farmer Jamie, that "bread" sounds interesting, thanks for sharing! I have more eggs than I know what to do with here, so I'll see if I can get hold of some almond flour and give this a shot.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We get Red's Mill brand of "unusual" to find flours and grains here. Some stores have a large selection, others not so much. It is a great source for those with specific dietary needs -- gluten, carbs, allergy, non-GMO.

For those in USA, I found a local Big Lots store had a larger selection than many grocery.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol Chester!! No... I don't think you're getting any kinders out of him! I love the nubian colors. Pretty does!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Quick moment of panic this morning because I couldn't see Chester anywhere! I was just about to slop out through the mud when he walked out of the middle of all the does. He's just so little it's easy to miss him.

Hatched 10 quail - lousy hatch - had 30 eggs in the incubator...ugh. Chicks are hatching this morning. Put 12 eggs in and three have made their appearance. AND, I found a broody last night hiding in some tall grass behind the little barn. I put the top half of a dog crate over her to keep her from drowning in the upcoming downpours. Wonder if she'd like some babies to raise??? She's only been sitting a couple days so not sure if she's ready yet...and not sure I want to put these chicks outside with the upcoming monsoons we've been promised. Eh - probably just toss 'em in the brooder with the quail chicks.

Had a salmon omelet for breakfast this morning and made another batch of FJ's bread. This time I totally forgot to put the baking powder in it, but since I wanted it flat it was ok. Added a dash of garlic salt and used both coconut flour and almond flour as an experiment. It was good! Toasted some in a skillet with some butter and called it toast. DH and I are pretty carb starved so we appreciate a good substitute.

Probably hanging around inside most of the day. I need to grab something outta the freezer for dinner and then jump into cleaning something. Think I'll work on the breezeway area. After moving mom/dad out of there it went straight back to a 'junk' room and that's not what I want. Mostly it's just cluttered so I want to get it a little better organized. Yuck - I'd rather be outside doing anything than being stuck inside.... ugh.