Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I might make eggplant pizza tonight.... It'll be rather plain cuz all I have is sauce and cheese! But, better than nothing...maybe?

Isn't that eggplant parm?? Or, you just don't bread it? You know that is so low cal you could eat a LOT. Wine. Try 1/2 a glass with ice & soda water -- a spritzer. The taste will come thru and you didn't do badly.

Bread?? OK -- fresh Italian or French loaf, I can eat the whole thing, lathered with real butter! Rarely buy bread because of that. :D When I do, I try to make bruschetta as a way to fill up on the tomatoes and eat less bread.

Made goat cheese Monday. Here's a little note for you -- Had milk from 7/11 & 7/20...still fresh! Yep. I put my 1/2gal or qt jars with a white Ball lid in the freezer within a few minutes of milking. Go back about 1/2 hr & swirl to mix temps up in there … leave in until fully chilled. Then to frig. This forms a seal on the jar/lid. Wanted to see how long it would last. I tasted, then drank some. Made cheese. All was good. That raw milk was 2 months old. So, there's your answer to having fresh milk for coffee when you stop milking. I am going to open another qt I have to see how long it will stay "good" after the time it's been. My frig is very cold.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Either of you ever clabber milk? A FB group I'm on, everyone is obsessed and it freaks me out! Lol, I pasteurize so can't do it anyway.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not intentionally. :D Well, once in a while if baking a cake or such that needs it.

My chickens love it! But...they eat a lot of things weird.

ETA: there was separation of cream in that milk I mentioned. shook up ok. Once started to heat, no difference than just milked as to separation. But could spoon out the cream when opened! :drool

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have...dad loved it ( and buttermilk) with some cornbread. It's a lot similar to tangy yogurt- you just don't have to add any culture to it.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This is an excellent bready substitute. I use it to make pizza crust, bagel dogs, calzones, lovely pretzels, crackers... I tried cinnamon rolls and they were good but looked like crap because I let it get cold. Should have warmed it in the microwave again before continuing. This is very rich, with all the cheese; you will probably find you can't eat as much as you are used to with regular pizza. I can barely do 1/4 of the pizza.

Fathead Pizza Dough
Mix the mozzarella and almond flour, then add cream cheese and zap in the microwave for 30 seconds. Stir everything up and zap another 30 seconds. Add the egg and salt and stir up into a dough. Roll it out between 2 sheets of parchment paper into a good rustic pizza shape. Make fork holes all over the pizza base to ensure it cooks evenly. Slide the baking paper/parchment with the pizza base, on a baking tray (cookie tray) or pizza stone, and bake at 220C/425F for 12-15 minutes, or until brown. To make the base really crispy and sturdy, flip the pizza over (onto baking paper/parchment) once the top has browned. Once cooked, remove from the oven and add all the toppings you like. Make sure any meat is already cooked as this time it goes back into the oven just to heat up the toppings and melt the cheese. Bake again at 220C/425F for 5 minutes.

If you google Fathead dough, you will find all kinds of recipes- and more showing up all the time because this really is a good bread substitute.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Melt cubes of mozzarella on parchment or silicone baking mat (on a pan silly), and put a pepperoni on them. Then cook until golden toasty the way you like the top of a pizza. Yum!!!!!!!

I still keep frozen pizza on hand for meal prep emergencies, but I get thin crust now.

Intermittent fasting forgives all sorts of carby mis-adventures. :D Just sayin'! I've been doing intermitten fasting 16 or 18 hours, so that's just like skipping breakfast. My lunch is strict keto. But I usually eat a moderate carb meal or snack later when I run out of self control. :p Pretty sure I'm losing. I haven't weighed in yet. Maybe today - I'm going into town. I use the vet clinic scale. LOL!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That sounds good! Love all these ideas- thanks all. I haven't really tried the intermittent fasting yet...probably need to check that out. I am so determined.

I finally brought Chester into the front pen yesterday. It's getting too deep to leave him out in the pasture! First thing he did was to go breed the nigi doe...all by himself! I was so proud of him. He's figuring thing out. Oh course, that means she didn't settle from the last time he bred her ( I was not convinced it was a successful breeding anyway) and this will mean February babies. Ugh.

Saw this morning that I've got a roof leak in the milk room. Need to get that taken care of - if it ever stops raining. They are predicting rain through most of next week. Beginning to think it's going to be one of those years.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Go Chester! Lol

Good luck getting that roof fixed. So much rain there, ugh! Piggies probably aren't minding are they? You have any more piglets?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No more piglets - thank goodness! Pigs are even tired of the rain - caught 'em all in the barn the last two evenings! But, they do go out and wander around the pasture. The gateway between my place and the neighbors pasture is a wallowed out mess. Same spot that one of the female pigs got stuck in (twice) earlier in the year. It's so deep now that the last batch of piglets have to literally SWIM if they want to go back and forth! Crazy times! I need to have about 10 loads of gravel brought in if it ever dries up. I've got some driveway fabric that will need to go on the bottom with some larger stones on top and then finish it off with gravel and hopefully it'll hold up. Need that in front of the little barn too....geeze I hate mud!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You do have mud too. I don't like black clay and I may gripe about my beach sand, but I'll take it over black clay any day! We are real lucky because we are surrounded by RED clay!