Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Sounds to me that y'all had a good day. Yup, time to spoil the DH a little with some new duds, some smell good, and a new computer. He certainly deserves some spoiling. When ya' got a good one, spoiling is in order.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I definitely need marketing lessons! That just gave me a great idea! We have a culinary program here at the college. I probably need to talk to chef and director of the program! I'll try to have a chat with him the next time I see him.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
New computer is always nice. Maybe he'll share...:caf

can't keep up with demand with 6 sows! Get marketing! Lol

Dang! If I had that kind of market I'd be "soo, soo, sooing" piggies all over the place! :D A lot has to do with marketing contacts. Some areas have butchers/chefs that cater to certain tastes. Lots of seafood in my area, BBQ in TX, etc.

Sometimes, one good contact can put you in business with others. Talk to that chef, FEM. NH -- you need to work at contracting your porkers to the guy who has that huge demand. Can't always raise them all, so sub it out!

We used to have a guy (small company) here who sold grilled whole pig for cookouts. He cooked and delivered (or allowed pick-up) in a huge cooler, hot and ready to eat. Always busy. Had to book weeks ahead. But, he got :old and his kids just opened a take-out at VA Beach instead. A sit down picnic table place, to eat meal there. Yeah, did good but waaay fewer hogs were contracted as dad had. They didn't want all the work and hot, long hours it took. They grilled on site.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I saw him today, but he was headed to the men's room - so not quite the right time, lol. I need to think about how I'm going to approach it. It's not like I can supply much meat right now anyway. I've got the two boars that I'll butcher before the end of the year....after that I've got three barrows who won't be ready for another 6 months or so. They taste good, but they grow s..l..o..w! I guess we'll see if he's interested or knows anyone who is.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Lol the person I was referring to is in either VA or one of the Carolinas, don't remember which. Not going to help me, I'm afraid. I don't have any piglets anyway. I think my sow is broken... we'll see....

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think my sow is broken... we'll see....

THAT would NOT be cool! But, didn't ya get another sow - or am I dis-remembering? How long have you had them now? Has it been long enough for her to have farrowed? You NEED baby pigs - they are so darn cute and they taste good. :drool

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes she should have farrowed by now. And I think she's in heat. Either that or she's about to farrow and Mr Stanley is confused because he's certainly quite interested (she is not). We have a gilt, he'll move in with her in November for spring piglets. And if the sow doesn't farrow... we might have some sausage. I can't justify a non-producing pig.