Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You've been sorta quiet of late, FEM. You ok?

Where did you end up putting the quail?

I milked last couple days as one of my does in milk had her doeling just decide she wasn't so interested in nursing now...that's fine she eats well! But Brat is still producing well. Sooooo, gallon a day coming at me. Thinking I will work her into 1Xday, 1/2 gal. :idunno Well trained. Just stand her by the feed and she's ready to get it done. I don't even have to tie her. Dontcha know she makes me think 2 like her is all I need :hide :eek:downsize??:eek::ep

Are you milking anyone now? Got any winter things in the garden. Oh, yeah, it ain't winter where you are for a long, long time. :D We are getting some Fall here, sorta. Not sure that I will put anything out but, would sure like to.

Got the comfrey starts I ordered. Been here a week and I must get them potted. Want to work them that way for winter, then transplant decent roots, etc. Took of today and making myself do a few "gottas". I'm not enthused today.:old Need a kick in the butt. o_O

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm good - thanks for asking! I'm just crazy busy at work and we still don't have a boss...ugh.

I'm still milking Cameo - have been since March and she's still cranking out the white stuff. She held steady at a half gallon a day forever... she's starting to drop off some now. I think she's bred so I'll give her a break eventually. Want her to be fat and happy to deliver Conan babies when the time comes!

Nothing in the garden right now except PIGS, lol!

Yes - my team lost! GRRRRR! At this point I'm really worried about 'em... there's bound to be some changes coming!

Quail are still in the brooder. I'll have to remedy that this weekend. I've got a portable cage that I'll find a place for closer to the house and hope that no varmints will venture that close. I have a storage shed in the yard that I could hang them in maybe. Not quite sure yet what I'll do with 'em.

I'm sick, sick, sick of mud and skeeters. This craziness needs to end!

Got home a little early today, but I've got 12 bags of feed that need to be unloaded. Better get to it....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you going to butcher the two garden boars? Good going on getting them both in there. Wilbur did not get fed today. He gets loaded up tomorrow, I’ll feed and water him in the trailer. I load hogs with boiled eggs. Toss em in the trailer, sqoosh one and let em smell it and hogs hop right in the trailer! I will not miss him. I’m ready to be hogless for the winter.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you going to butcher the two garden boars?
That is the plan! I need practice butchering....my neighbor is so darn fast. He did the last boar in about a minute and a half! Dead, hanging, gutless, skinless and boned out - crazy fast! I might do one that one but I kinda like bones...so I'll try to do the other one that way. Or, I'll wuss out and haul them both in to be done professionally done, lol. But, for sure they will not make it many more months!

Was Wilbur easy to load when you got him?

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, he just walked right up in the trailer. They had to cut the wire to his pen, using the trailer end gate and a cow panel to make a chute. I opened the side door, squished a boiled egg and tossed it midway in the trailer. he caught a sniff of that and loaded himself. I tossed the rest up front and he moved to the front of the trailer, then we shut the middle gate. And THAT'S how to load a hog!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Atta boy Wilbur!! Mine will load for dog food, goat food, hay, empty feed bowls, lol. They know good things come in that trailer and will jump in just to check things out! Sure does make life easier.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hate mud. I'm so sick of mud. Mud is my enemy. Mud is the enemy of my critters. Mud sucks! Literally...

Went out to feed the goats yesterday and, as usual, they were all standing up with their feet on the stock panels sticking their heads through to reach the feeders hanging on the outside so they could get every last drop of feed....when all of a sudden I hear a loud crack and the fence is coming down. They broke off a wooden post...broke the damn post already....then they come pouring over the fence....actually some of them just fell into it when the fence went down. Goats were scrambling and screaming and mud was flying everywhere...mass mayhem! It was a good thing the neighbor's kids were not outside because I said (screamed) a few cuss words - heck I think I even invented some new ones!

I can't even repair it because how do you dig holes underwater? Cannot be done. I need a new system. Think I'll go buy some free standing troughs for lotsa damn money and start over. I love the feeders that hang on the fence because I can feed from the opposite side and not get trampled. It's a great idea until we get a foot of rain. Which is all the dang time lately!

Need to start the worming cycle because mud brings parasites. Checked a few eyelids yesterday and some are starting to look pale. Not surprised at all.

I'm so discouraged I'm about to sell everything and raise nothing but quail (if that even) cuz they are above ground away from all the mud.

Did I mention that I hate mud?